Need Help.....

My preschooler has lice. I JUST discovered it and the timing couldn't be worse since we are now officially snowed in for several days. I'm so irritated. Usually schools are pretty good about informing parents of any cases so they can be on top of things. I'm guessing she's had them about a week. While she's been scratching a lot the last few days she's also been in braids most of the time and I figured that was the cause of the itching... nope.

So what can I do? Obviously we won't be getting any of the shampoo for several days but I have to do something. Are there any home rememdies that actually work. Not the mayo thing because I know its not effective. Plus I am 20 wks. pregnant and am wondering if I'm going to find a warning on those stupid shampoos when we do get them that means i have to find somethign else to use. Is it safe when pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:25 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Health

• Do you have any tea tree oil in the house? If so, add that to the shampoo.....meanwhile, comb it out with a fine toothed comb...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 1:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I'd check under webmd's website and see if they have any suggestions. The only thing I've personally heard is the shampoo's, but here's a bump, I hope you find your answer. And I hope your little one gets better soon, I know lice isn't all that fun to have
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 1:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• take baby oil and then let it sit in for a lil while an then take a fine tooth comb an comb her hair, then take a lil bit not a lot of dawn dish soap to wash out the b oil. then wash all the beddings and blankets etc. an spray the sofa an matresses this will help with the recurring problem.
    heiditr

Answer by heiditr at 11:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• We dealt with lice for months last year. In the end, the most effective thing was combing through my daughters' hair every single day, twice a day, and HAND-picking any bugs or nits we could see. We used a very bright light and magnifying specs to see well. Most of the nits were too small to be eliminated by the comb, so hand-picking them was the only way to get rid of them. Use tea tree oil mixed in olive oil to coat the hair and make it easier to slide the bugs and nits out. Seal EVERYTHING you use: gloves, tissues, combs, etc. in a ziploc bag after every single combing and throw it all away. It is best to do this for at least a week. And DON't neglect washing all the bedding and clothing and even stuffed animals in hot water. If you can't wash them in hot water, seal them in plasitc bags, airtight, for a couple of weeks. Throw them in the garage where it's freezing for good measure.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:42 AM on Feb. 2, 2011