Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

How do I withdraw my Son from his school? He will be home schooled online instead.

I was wondering if there was anything extra that needed to be done, or do we just say good bye to everyone. I have never done this before school age. He is in the first grade and we are near our approval date for the home school.

Answer Question

Asked by Avitar at 1:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

Level 11 (631 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • well i would just go in there and talk to his teachers. and she or he would tell u if u need anything extra to do for it. and any ways you would want to get his records and all that good stuff.

    Answer by tearb at 1:46 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • there should be withdrawal forms you fill out if i'm not mistaken

    Answer by Gen at 3:37 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • It depends on your state laws....Call your school board and ask.

    Answer by Anna92464 at 6:50 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • you need to officially withdraw him from the school he is attending otherwise he'll be considered truant. Go to the school. They'll have paperwork you need to fill out.

    Answer by MrsMWF at 9:57 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • You will most likely have to officially withdraw since he is already enrolled. Go to and look at your state home educating laws and go from there.

    Answer by buzymamaof3 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • You have to go through either the local school where he is enrolled or the district office. It differs from state to state, but you cannot just quit sending him, there are usually official forms to be filled out to verify that you are in fact changing his instruction type rather than just keeping him from school.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:21 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.