A question about calories

Ok, I feel a little stupid asking this, and I thought I knew the answer, but now I'm doubting myself. If I eat 1,800 calories a day, how many calories should I be burning during a workout to lose a pound a week? ( I think a pound is 3500 calories but please correct me if I'm wrong) I had a metabolism test done several years ago, and she told me that basically, with my metabolism, just sitting around, my body will burn about 1,800 calories a day. So, based on that, I should have to burn 500 calories/day (during workout) to lose 1lb/week. Is that right?

Megs5384

Asked by Megs5384 at 2:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• i dont know the answer..im just responding so i can come back tomorrow and see the other peoples answers..LOL :)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:52 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• ODK. I always thought that it all depended on metabolism and your weight and all. Also it depends on the type of exercise and what you're eating. Not all calories are created equal. Some foods take longer to burn off. Just do a good workout and count your calories and stay away from the obvious bad stuff. Low carb helps too.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:54 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• IDK sorry not ODK
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:55 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Yep that's right!

I'm counting calories too. If you want to lose 2 pounds a week you'd need to cut/burn 1000 calories a day. If you want to lose 1 pound a week you'd need to cut/burn 500 calories a day. (500 calories x 7 days = 3500).

Do make sure that 1800 is all that you're burning in a day though. Walking around, standing up, etc. can all add up.
    Good luck!

Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:08 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• laughing":

" dont know the answer..im just responding so i can come back tomorrow and see the other peoples answers..LOL :) "

I love it!! lolololo

Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:39 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• If it's been years since you had the test done, then you need to re-evaluate and make sure you've got an accurate count of how many calories you need per day, as it will change over time. Use an online calculator to figure this, then you will need to burn off and/or cut the caloric intake by 500 every day to lose one pound per week. Here's an example of the calculator:

http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/calories-burned.php

vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:48 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I recommend that you calculate your BMR or basal metabolic rate again..it can change over a span of days actually so if it's been years it needs to be done again.
    For instance, here is mine:
    I am 5'1", 35, and 110 lbs.. my BMR is 1255. I work out 6 days per week, so I would multiply that number by 1.55 to get my maintenance calories: 1255*1.55=1945... if I wanted to lose 1 lb per week, I would subtract 500 from that number: 1945-500=1445... I have to consume between 1255-1445 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week.
    One pound of fat contains 3500 calories, so in order to lose 1 lb per week, you have to burn an extra 3500 calories per week. This is very easy to do..just make sure you have a 500 calorie deficit per day ( 500*7=3500). Drink a lot of water..take your weight and divide by 2. This is the # of oz you should drink in a day.
    I've lost 57 lbs and gotten to my goal weight of 110 and did it in 9 months doing this.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 7:16 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Thanks ladies! I think I've got it figured out now. I know I should go get the test done again, but I'm currently without insurance and the one I had done was the one where you sit and blow into this machine (looked like a breathalyzer actually! lol ) and it measures it for you. It was done by a nutritionist. But the calculator link was helpful too.

I did have a question though, mcginnisc: where did you get the 1.55 from?
    Megs5384

Comment by Megs5384 (original poster) at 12:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• There's actually one on webmd that's pretty accurate. However if you really want to loose weight the experts say what you eat is more important than how much you exercise. I'd cut your calories down to 1200 to 1400 a day. And join the website sparkpeople dot com. It's a great support system. Plus its free. Who knows you could find yourself meeting people in your area to workout with.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 1:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• You need to burn 500 more than what you put in to lose one pound a week, so if you are eating 1800 calories (which BTW is a LARGE amount of calories to be eating when trying to lose weight).....but if you are eating 1800 calories a day you need to then burn 2300 calories in a day to lose one pound a week.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2011