How can I help my 10 year old fall asleep faster?

He's 10 years old and he gets up at 6:30 am for school. I get him to bed at 9pm and He will not fall asleep till 11 and sometimes midnight. He's always fought sleep since he was BORN! Any suggestions?

mamastyles

Asked by mamastyles at 4:10 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Warm, long, relaxing bath before he goes to bed. You can then just rub his back a bit with some oils that are special for nighttime easy sleeping. A glass of warm milk, some relaxing music (if that's something he enjoys) Do you think it's perhaps his pillow or mattress? I've heard many people not being able to sleep cause they felt comfortable, however they really weren't and their body knew that and "told" them by not falling asleep. Either way, I would do the things I said first and if nothing works, then I'd check the pillow and the mattress. As a very last resort and if things got worse, I'd make a dr's appointment.
    Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 4:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Have him do some exercising a few hours before bed, but not right before bed because that can actually keep you awake. Have him read in bed instead of just tossing and turning. Let him read whatever he wants, magazines, novels, comic books, whatever. Make sure he's in bed while reading. It really helps.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 4:30 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Zoeyis > LOL OH how tempting! ;)
    mamastyles

Comment by mamastyles (original poster) at 4:52 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I would try and get him to rest when he gets home from school. My middle child is this way and sometimes he takes naps after school. I used to wake him up and then the doctor told me not to. Also, check with his doctor before using this, my DD takes melatonin. It really helps her and it is a natural supplement. She was given this in the hospital and we still use it. I know the nurses talked about using it and how well it worked. I know for her it works great.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• warm milk? It helps me
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:45 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Good suggestions! thanks to all!!
    mamastyles

Comment by mamastyles (original poster) at 1:12 AM on Feb. 3, 2011