what to do with a clingy 2 year old

mb5614

Asked by mb5614 at 7:13 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Just for Fun

• In general, let her cling. If you go to the park and she stays within 2 feet of you - don't sit on the bench, go climb on the equipment. If you go on a playdate and she won't play - sit down on the floor and play with her. As she realizes that you will always be there, she will start to venture further away from you. Some kids keep those apron strings VERY short for years (even decades) while others run off without even glancing back at you. Don't try to change your child and don't label her as shy or standoff-ish. Just let her be herself.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• love it cause trust me it wont last to long .. my son was and now .. i cant keep his feet on the ground lol
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 8:02 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• would really love the clingyness if i did't have three other children. They can't even talk to me or touch me without him screaming or trying to hit them. I have always stayed at home with all of them but I have never had one to be as close to me as he is. the others are nine, seven, and six. I just don't know what to do with him. I have to put him in his crib and let him scream just so we can do homework.
    mb5614

Answer by mb5614 at 8:24 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I agree with kaycee14. I would just love on that child til he couldn't stand it no more. Otherwise, he reverts to obnoxious behaviors, like the screaming in the crib. I bet it would be easier to just have him sit at the table and do "his work" while the kids do theirs. Include him more, not less. I could not tolerate a screaming/crying child, ever, and never will. I believe in indulging the child in attention when you can, and setting boundaries when necessary, like the homework example. good luck!
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 8:56 PM on Nov. 15, 2008