Dog habits???

I have been wanting to start walking in the morning and take my Golden with me. It is just very irritating every electric pole or mailbox we pass he tries to pee on it. I have found a website and trying to train him to break him from a couple of his bad habits. Can't find anything about this though. Any ideas why he does this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:41 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Pets

• He does this to mark what he considers his terratory. He probbly also smells that other dogs have peed there. If you don't want him to do this don't stop. I have three dogs 2 of which are males. When I walk them they are only allowed to go to the bathroom in certain spots.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:56 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Dogs do it to mark their territory. I really don't know how to break him of it. I would ask a trainer at Petsmart or look it up on Google.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Czar has talked about this before. Maybe you can find something onhis site. Have you tried having the dog carry a pack on his back? That might make him keep on track more. Previous answer is correct that the dog is just marking territory.

dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:06 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It's how he says to the other critters "I was here!". You can likely train him to focus on you and walking seriously. He can have a 'socializing' walk another time.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 3:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• True, you need to shorten his lead and just keep going, pulling him off of these objects, or away from them. Give him a stern "No" or "Let's Go" and he will get the message. If he passes a pole without stopping on his own, praise him and pet him, but keep going!

My dogs have to pee out in our yard before we go on a walk. I had a dog who wanted to mark everything too, it would have taken us forever to walk around a block if I had let him pee everywhere he wanted to on the walk. I just told him no, and kept moving and he did too, but not on a retractable or overly long lead. You will need a lead that is four feet for awhile, or perhaps a traffic lead, which is just a short tab to train him to walk at your leg for awhile.

Your dog can actually be trained to pee when you tell him to before you leave the house, and not to pee on the walks if you are consistent and clear with him.

Good luck!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 8:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• He's marking his territory I would say another dog did the same thing in the same place right before he did. My little yorkie does the same thing.
    c67collins

Answer by c67collins at 8:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2011

• you are the boss. If you don't want your dog to mark keep walking. Give a verbal correction and keep going. When you feel your dog is behaving then give him time to mark roam . You dictate what your dog does and when. He will get the ticket.
    Baby4us09

Answer by Baby4us09 at 4:25 PM on Feb. 8, 2011