Do your kids go to a K-8 school? If so, how do you like it?

Our school superintendant announced they are going to convert the Jr. HS's into K-8 schools to save money. First of all, I worry about how they think they can fit MORE students into already overcrowded schools? (Some of the schools to possibly be closed are newly blt. schools!) 2nd- I worry about bullying & discipline w/ the older kids, & the effect it will have on the younger ones. I'd love to hear experiences from parents/kids going thru it, & how it's working out for you.

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:57 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in

• I have friends that kids go to a K-8 school. I think they do a pretty good job of seperating the kids from each other and i also think that because the kids go to school together there isn't to much bullying between the grades. I also think they do a good job of getting the odler kids to help with the younger ones as far as helping with reading and math.

I know it is scary although if you are involved then you should be okay.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:00 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I went to a K-8 school. I actually find it amusing that there is somewhere that is converting to this. These were a huge trend in our area 25 years ago and now all the school in our area went away from that school model. My school had Kindergarten in one area, 1-3 in another wing, 4-6 in a third wing and 7 and 8 in a fourth wing of the school. They were pretty much separated. The only thing I would be concerned with is the bussing, as it is harder to separate them on a bus.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:05 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My children are going to be going to school with HS kids next year. You teach them your morals and continue to back them up by how you live. It's not like 7th and 8th graders go around talking about sex all the time (I'm assuming that's what you meant when you said she was going to be getting more of an education than you want her too). I have noticed more often than not, (at least in our school) that you have more sports oriented kids, the ones that are "inappropriate" makes it an easy fix, because you will hear that "a specific person" said this or did that, and 9 times out of 10 it's on the bus. Most schools do separate the younger kids from the older ones, and the "smarter" kids do end up getting extra credit for volunteering to help the youngsters. Just be diligent, if you hear your daughter say something inappropriate, deal with it right then and there, and take it up with your schools admin. Good Luck hun.
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 8:51 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Most elementary schools in Chicago are k-8. My daughter attended one of the few that is k-6, and is in one of the few high schools that is 7-12

Answer by rkoloms at 3:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• layh41407: I went to a K-8 but that was a LONG time ago! And kids are different today. She'll (dau's only in 3rd gr) be getting more of an education than I want her to! I cant help but worry a little on how this whole thing is going to turn out.
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 8:11 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Every elementary school I went to as a kid was K-8 as are most of the schools in Chicago. To me it is perfectly normal.
    My kids just left a small k-8 school (one classroom per grade, it was actually PK-8 so had kids ages 3-14 all in one building).
    There was no bullying. Actually the big kids looked out for the little kids. Every 8th grader had a kindergarten buddy (went on field trips together and met every week and had a big graduation party together). Every 7th grader has a 1st grade buddy to help them transition into the big kid grades. Every 6th grader has a preschool buddy that they meet with every week to do crafts and stuff with.
    My oldest starts middle school next year and it's my first experience with a separate "middle school". In Chicago we called it junior high (for 7th/8th, my dd is going into 6th) but it was still in the same building as all the other grades.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:36 AM on Feb. 3, 2011