We just started our 17 wk old on rice cereal mixed with her formula per our pediatrician's recommendation. I have a call into him, but does anyone know if we should just use that combo at night or now do it with every feeding? Thanks!

hg216

Asked by hg216 at 8:05 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I just started, I only did it at one feeding until the baby was used to it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:06 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• what layh41407 said
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 8:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• We also only started with one feedding for about a week and then we added more. I think calling the doctor is a great idea.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:07 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I used it at night and at nap time. the girlies were hungry even after a bottle so i started putting a little cereal on their tummies and it helped a lot
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 8:18 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Anything before 6 mos is hurtful to the gut. Your baby will let you know when they are interested in food. Some baby don't really want to eat anything until 1 yr old or over and this is fine! Breastmilk contains everything a baby needs to grow and develop. Giving solid food that early can screw up their gut for life, causing digestive issues. My son was a 10 pounder at birth and showed interest at around 5 1/2 mos so I just started giving him "tastes" and by 7 mos or so he was actually eating a bit....but never cereal...what a waste. It's like feeding him white bread. When you do decide to introduce then just give some mashed carrots, mashed apple, etc. You shouldn't have to get a baby "used to" eating solids. It will come naturally when they're ready...
    antivaccinemom

Answer by antivaccinemom at 8:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I agree with the above poster- cereal is absolutely worthless... sure it makes them 'feel' full, but it can hurt their little tummies. They are not getting anything from it- just empty fillers so they don't have to have bottle as often. If your baby really needs food, start with real stuff- like avocados.

17 weeks is FAR too young anyway.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 8:24 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I'm curious as to why you even bothered to respond to this. She's not asking as to if she SHOULD feed the child. She's asking how to feed her. You have your beliefs and that's fine, but please do not push it onto other.
    All four of my children were fed at 4 months, as did all of my neices and nephews. No one has stomach issues or food allergies. I just read an article stating that there is mixed beliefs about this and at this point there is no right or wrong as to whether it is 4 months or 6 months.
    If feeding at six month is your religion, please do not push it down the throats of those that believe otherwise.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• NOT a good Idea at all. Find another Pediatrician.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:13 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Thank you layh41407! I agree, I wasn't asking what people thought of giving rice cereal but simply how to give it. I appreciate your response and am not concerned about giving her the food whatsoever. Not only is it authorized by my pediatrician but my husband is also a doctor and we are clearly only going to do what's in her best interest. That said, if anyone does have some advice in terms of how often to use the rice cereal mixed with formula (and I'm using formula, not breast milk) I'd be more than interested in hearing your experiences. But please don't bother commenting if you simply want to force your own beliefs about whether or not to use it. Thanks so much.
    hg216

Comment by hg216 (original poster) at 9:15 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I started out with a tablespoon of rice cereal and mixed it to a thin consistency with my breast milk. I gave it to my girls at night to help them sleep better. You don't want to overdue it due to the risk of constipating baby. Once baby has gotten used to it and you know baby can handle it you can up the amount to what baby wants are even give it to him or her twice a day :)
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:20 AM on Feb. 2, 2011