Need learning playgroup ideas...

Each playgroup has a lesson plan type thing. This will be my first one to plan and I need ideas. Ages are from 18 months to 4 years. Probably 10 kids and 2 hours.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• wow, there are tons of things....are there any topics the kids like? (Or your kid(s) if you dont' know the others well?) They will do well with stuff they like...it could be dinosaurs/winter/ bugs/ snakes.....recently one of our preK classes did a whole unit on sharks for about 3 weeks...I couldn't believe the stuff the teachers came up with...another classroom did motorcycles....it cracked me up...they even went on a field trip to a Harley Davidson showroom....

There are tons of things to find online...search preschool curriculum, or pick a topic like dinosaurs and seach preK dinosaurs and you should be able to find lots of ideas. I'm a frustrated teacher who works as a nurse so I would love to talk to you about it since I work in a PreK now.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:53 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Our pre-shool co-op used to pick a letter for each week. Then we would build our theme around the letter that we had when we taught.

How about a food theme (you could even narrow that down more if you wanted) or transportation...the motorcycles sound like fun. We did a dinosaur theme one month, and bought plastic dinosaurs, covered them in plaster of paris and let that dry, then buried them in the dirt in the backyard....the kids had to"excavate" to find their dinosaurs, and use tools to carefully remove the plaster of paris, then brush of their dinosaurs. Weather is a good theme, especially right now...or just snow, and they can make paper snowflakes, we also made snow globes using baby food jars, glitter, and little plastic figures. We glued the figures into the lid, let them dry, put glitter and water into the jar put the lid back on sealing it with some plumber sealant , and let them dry.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:11 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• A normal lesson plan has a theme of some sort. My group is doing" Love "this month and we are doing other values such as gentleness, kindness each month. Toddlers learn from play I have a hands on activity for them. Tomorrow we are putting red, blue and yellow clothes pins into the same colored baskets. The also pinch and put the clothes pins on the basket. They are learning color, numbers as well as their small motor skills. I start with a circle time where we discuss "Love" and the weather and the days of the week e.t.c. Then I have centers: I have an art center, blocks and floor toys, dramatic play, small motor and the , learning center: The preschoolers will cut, use markers, and do alphabet and pre math worksheets. My moms want worksheets The end of the day we have a music,-movement time as well as the outside time before and after class.
    Mommad1947

Answer by Mommad1947 at 1:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Nature, seasons, the world around them, families, community helpers
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 10:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2011