I wake up every single morning with a severe pounding headache....

Sometimes it's so bad that the pain alone makes me vomit. The doctor doesn't know what it is although it is suspected to be sinus related. Does anyone else go through this, what do you do for it?

Usually I take sudafed in the morning and most of the time it goes away, but I would like to prevent them from happening so I can wake up happy once in awhile.

Oh, and I don't drink so it's not a hangover lol.

Namaste17

Asked by Namaste17 at 8:52 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Health

• possible LAKE dyes in the food you are eating?
    red 40, yellow 5, blue 1 are biggests
    these are banned in other countriesbut not us
    i took red 40 out of my daughter diet, found it caused huge issues with her
    i stopped having and i no longer have migraines
    if this is in your diet, simple fix
    if not, no other suggestion
    hope you feel better!!

search infom on LAKE dyes
    red 40 seems to be the worst one for headaches
    not just in red foods
    artifical food dyes
    comes from coal tar
    can make some kids tantrum
    and some adults have migraines
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:00 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• High Blood Pressure?? Dehydration???
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:11 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Your BP could be spiking at night. Does your jaw hurt in addition to your head? You could grind or clench your teeth/jaw at night.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:14 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It could be a lot of things. It could be your pillow, bed, sleeping position, the sudafed drying you out, diet, not getting enough to drink, you could be tensing up at night. It could be dehydration. There are a lot of things that could cause it.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:27 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Blood sugar too high or too low, Sinus pressure, try sleeping with your head raised up higher, like on a slope
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• could it be from caffeine. sometimes if you drink a lot of coffee wake up and need caffeine fix
    cinderellla

Answer by cinderellla at 9:29 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• those are some really good suggestions,thank you. I just bought new pillows and a body pillow to help with sleeping and it's still happening, I only have one cup of coffee a day (in the morning) no soda or anything like that, and I drink a crap load of water everyday so it's definitely not any of those things..... but I have to wonder about the blood pressure... sometimes I wake up with my heart pounding and I have had problems with grinding my teeth in the past so I will mention that to my doctor. Thanks!
    Namaste17

Comment by Namaste17 (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I used to get headaches like that about once a month (not related to my period at all, that was just the average frequency) - I would throw up a couple times. They went away on their own, but I still have no idea where they came from.
    Do you clench your teeth/jaw at night? I do that when I get really stressed (been doing it a lot lately), and I end up waking up with headaches through the night and in the morning. I try to keep my head properly supported so I don't feel the need to clench my jaw, but it only sometimes helps. I also try to keep my head elevated.
    I suggest experimenting with different factors in the comfort of your room - temperature, pillows, things you eat before bed, etc. It's got to be something!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 1:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2011