how do i start potty training my 2 year old?

mamaof1385

Asked by mamaof1385 at 7:22 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Potty training is not always an easy task. When you start potty training look for sign that your child has to go potty. Some signs may be squating for a #2 or holding themselves in front for a #1. When you see this happen take the child to the potty. I try makeing this fun as at first my children did not want to sit there. What I did was play with toys that I would pretend to talk or sing about going potty, If I didn't have the toys I myself would sing a song about going potty. If you are trying to teach a boy to pee in the toilet standing up an idea is to take a rubber duck and put it in the toilet for aim practice. You will then need an extra pair of tongs to take the duck out of the toilet and boil in hot water to sanitize it again. I hope this helps you & I wish you the best of luck in potty training your little one.
    Anonymous

• i like the rubber duck idea =D
    they have new little kid poyyts i cant reamber what they are called but anyways it plays music when the pee hits it ad i think im ganna get that when we try to potty train our son
    brittyboop

Answer by brittyboop at 10:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I do not know what will work for you, but I can tell you what worked for us. My daughter had no reason not to use her diaper...it was simply too good at keeping her dry. So I started putting her in training pants and vinyl covers. It's kinda like cloth diapering, but so she can pull them off. We went two weeks of this before I noticed any interest in the potty. I would make her sit on the potty before and after any napping or sleeping and would entice her with fun stickers. Once she started realizing when she went pee she would wet herself, she started to dislike it. Then she started to hold it for the potty. Now she lets me know when she's about to pee and we rush off to he potty. Sure, two to three weeks of hand washing five to ten panties a day...was intense, but worth it. With these modern diapers...they kept her dry enough not to care about changing her ways. She's 30 months old now.
    Haleygrrl

Answer by Haleygrrl at 11:25 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• We started geting the signs from my dtr, that it was time in February. So, we got to the point where she would just pee and that was the end of it - #2 was strictly for diapers, in her opinion. But then, we had another baby in April and that threw her completely off track. I felt so bad. So, to encourage her that the potty was just for her and it was her "big girl" thing to do, I made a potty chart with her picture on it. Each time she would go on the potty, she gets to put a little sticker of her choice next to the date. She would get a special sticker if she does something like, holds it for a car ride, or poops. When the chart is full, she gets a surprise bag with M&Ms and a potty prize like "Clean Team" or new underwear. That's just what's working so far in our house :^) Good luck!
    TMMommie78

Answer by TMMommie78 at 10:44 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• the number one thing is they need to show interest as soon as they do , get on it before they lose interest again , my son is 2 1/2 and showed interest as soon as we bought his potty then one day i put undies on him ..happy feet his fav at the time and he would just say i gotta go pee pee ...so i would take him and that was it ...and now he wants to do potty in the big toilet (our toilet ) so i guess i was lucky but like i said as soon as they show interest do it fast !!!
    Anonymous