How do you get great grocery store deals?

What do you do to save big at the grocery check out?

ShirleyB335

Asked by ShirleyB335 at 9:09 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• Watch the ads to see what is on sale. Use coupons. Check the marked-down meats for good buys.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:17 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I watch the adds, plan my meals based on what is on sale and I just started using coupons again. It has become a game with me to see how much I can save.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:24 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Match prices plus use coupons and try to shop the best sales
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 9:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Here are my best tips for saving at the grocery store:

Make at least some of your own cleaning products. This has the added bonus of bringing fewer toxins into your home
    This is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non toxic.
    ¼ cup white vinegar
    ¾ cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (antiseptic and smells nice)

Stop buying paper towels and napkins. Cloth napkins are more fun! Pick up cheap cotton towels at your favorite second hand shop. Save money and trees!!

Past the age of 2, the only beverage that humans need is water. Stop buying juice and sodas; buy milks only for cooking and cereal. You can liven up water with slices of fruits and vegetables; make ice cubes with blueberry eyeballs for the kids.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:01 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Replace meats with beans, lentils, tofu, seitan, etc. You can save even more money by using dried beans and lentils and making your own seitan.

Cook from scratch! Home cooked foods taste so much better than the nasty boxed stuff, and you will feel better because you are eating healthier foods.

Replace simple grains (white flour, white rice, white pasta, etc.) with whole grains (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, whole grain breads, etc.). While whole grains may cost more, they have more nutrition and are more filling, so they really are the better value.

Frozen fruits and vegetables have a longer shelf life than fresh and retain their nutrition longer; they are often a better, less expensive option than fresh.

Once or twice a week have breakfast for dinner.

cont

• Popular options at my house are: yogurt parfaits with frozen berries and whole grain cereal; veggies omelettes with a bit of cheese and whole grain toast; whole grain pancakes with fruit.

Instead of baking a whole batch of cookies, make and freeze cookie dough balls. No one will be tempted to sneak a cookie(you know who you are) and when you do have cookies they will be fresh baked.

Only go to the grocery store every 8 days. Before you shop, plan all of your meals and snacks for the next 8 days. Write your list, based on what you need to complete your meal plan. Pull any necessary coupons, eat before you go (never go to the grocery store hungry). Most important, buy only what is on your list. The specials at the store are not to save you money, they are to get you to buy items that you don't need. If you won't use it in 3 week, don't buy it!

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 10:02 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I have a ton of recipes that are tasty, healthy, family and budget friendly; send me a message offlist if you would like some

• Clip coupons, buy generic when you can, only buy certain non-perishables when they are on sale, know what prices are like at other stores.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• buy generic, use coupons, only necessary food, look the shopper compare stores , buy with a friend and divide packs spit etc
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 7:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2011