My SO says that you can't legally be given a speeding ticket if the cop clocked you on their radar while they are in motion, is that true?

It doesn't sound true to me and if it is then I've paid a speeding ticket I didn't have to recently.

Has anyone else ever heard of this?

(I am in Georgia.)

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 9:13 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Travel

• SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:26 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It's legal.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:14 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Go to court & fight it. That is all you can do. It's your word against the Police Officers. Who do you think the judge will believe? GL
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:16 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It may vary from state to state, but I think they can give you a ticket and that it is binding. You might try calling a public defender's office or a county attorney's office and asking what the law is in Georgia.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:16 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• you could try to fight it, but then you'll pay court costs, and if you lose, still pay the ticket. Is it worth all that?
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:23 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Georgia is like one of the hardest states to beat tickets. I believe not only does Georgia use individual radars detectors but they also use Vascar by air units. I say if you know you were speeding just pay the ticket. But if you are trying to get off due to detector errors thats not likely in Ga. But to answer you question yes they can clock you while in motion. The equipment they use now is so much more advance than they use to be. However I had a teacher that said he fought tickets by questioning not the device but rather the officer. He asked to see if they tested it when suppose to and if they charted how often they did test it for operational errors. But your best chance in getting out of a ticket is charming the officer before he even writes the ticket. :-)
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 9:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It varies from state to state. But radar guns are designed to be used both while standing still AND while in motion. And as far as I can tell, it IS legal in GA.
    But if you have already paid the fine, there isn't much you can do about it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• HistoryMamaX3 it sounds to me as if you didn't read the question. In it I state that I have already paid the fine for my ticket, but that he has just recently told em this and I was curious.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 11:05 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Were you actually speeding? Why fight getting caught when you were doing something illegal? Sounds like you are tying to find a loophole to get yourself out of trouble... pay the fine and stop speeding.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 10:59 AM on Feb. 2, 2011