2 yr old isn't moving her arm

My daughter fell on her arm last night. She was diagnosed with nurse maid elbow, well she can bend her elbow but she refuses to use her arm. she won't lift it, put any weight on it. She is right handed but refuses to use her arm. She cries and tells you it hurts if you move her arm. I am wondering if I should take her for a second opinion. Anyone have any suggestions.

ksmommy09

Asked by ksmommy09 at 9:29 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've seen kids with nurse maid elbow and she may be sore but should have some mobility, right? All the websites I checked just now said pain is short lived and she should have full use pretty quick. I would take her back in. I had a 2-3 yr old child over to play on the swingset on my backyard. She tripped, landed wrong and started crying. I held her for a few minutes, she calmed down then left to play. She seemed fine but anytime she moved her arm she cried, so we knew something was wrong. Her mom took her to the doctors. Turns out she broke her clavicle. Doc said it's really common with kids because their bones aren't as strong yet and a bad landing on an outstretched arm can cause it. I've never had anything like that happen around me. I was shocked. If she keeps crying and doesn't want to use it I would take her back. It could be a fracture, anything....
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 9:51 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i would take her back in and get xrays done
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:32 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Her arm is probably sore, her elbow has just been dislocated. You could always make an appointment with her doctor to put your mind at ease.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 9:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Get a second opinion.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I would give it a day. My cousin had the same issue with her baby's foot. She took him and had it xrayed and it was fine, but he refused to put any weight on it. He forgot about it in a few days and was really fine. If you have already had it xrayed and they told you what happened and what to do, then I would see what happens in the next few days and just watch her.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I would take her somewhere. My DD fell on her elbow when she was 4 and I didn't think anything of it. The next day she was complaining about it, but I didn't think anything of it. Later that day she feel on it again and we ended up taking her to the ER. She ended up breaking it from her fall.

I will tell you that it was not swollen until the second time she fell on it.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:39 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't take any chances, i would take her to her Pediatrician and get a second opinion just to make sure.
    ZachAlec

Answer by ZachAlec at 9:45 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Yes take her back for a second opinion. Get xrays. Good luck!
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I would definitely go for a second opinion.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 4:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• my daughter did this a couple months ago!! exactly what u are describing.. for about a day she wouldnt use it just hung there limp. no matter what. the next day she was fine.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 8:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2011