What do you think of the Mom in Alaska punishing her 7 year old son by putting hot sauce in his mouth?

Saw this on the news and thought we all would have an opinion about her form of discipline. After the hot sauce then she puts in a cold shower. OMG.

Librarylady60

Asked by Librarylady60 at 9:31 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• well this is not how I would handle things, although I do know parents that have done similar things. Every parent punishes in their own way and I am sure hot sauces is not going to kill him, so to each their own. I am sure most people will think this is awful, to me there is much worse things she could have done.

Just my opinion.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i personally dont agree with it and belive if she can afford to adopt from russia and have 6 kids she should have been prepared and able to afford behavior management and counseling.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• What can you do as sad as it is there is no telling who does this kind of discipline for all we know some other parents might be doing worse we just don't know about it unless it surfaces some how :(
    I guess the only punishment would be do the same to the parent and then some...arg!
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Brooke Shields caught heat for doing that a couple years ago. I personally don't see anything wrong with it. If it were just a little on the finger that is. I didn't read or see any details about the Alaska case, but Brooke Shields would do a little on the finger to the tip of the tongue. It was for bad language. If it's a whole bottle that's extreme obviously. It's no worse than spanking in my book. We used to get a tablespoon of vinegar for bad language which I'd rather have the hot sauce.  Vinegar burns all the way down. 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I saw her on the Dr.Phil show, and recently in the news. Her husbands a cop too, and he was interviewed as stating that he won't discipline, but will let her discipline however she wants. I would think in his line of work he's had some training in domestic abuse? But he turns a blind eye to his wife..he's a coward. AND HER....what she's doing isn't discipline, it's punsihment, torture, and abuse. Everyone's focusing on the physical of what she's doing, but she's emotional and verbally abusing this child too. It breaks my heart. The two boys from Russia they adopted are twins, and she says how one twin is good, and she wants to keep him, but the other twin is bad. What a bitch. Those poor boys have been through who know what, and they BOTH need love.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I dont agree with it. I think people really need to take a class on parenting before their children are born that teaches them common sense and proper discipline.

Answer by gemgem at 9:45 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I think she used too much hot sauce.
    Now seriously. How many of you are perfect? I know I'm not. Do I agree with how that mother went about it? No.But let's look at it this way. Just because you don't approve or wouldn't do it ,doesn't mean it's wrong. I'm even pretty sure that all of us have done something with which we could find some therapist or psychologist that would disagree.
    The real deal is that psychology is a pretty young field and a lot of it is just theory and guessing. There are so many different view points on all aspects of parenting and you can pretty much find psychologist to agree with about any form of discipline you might find.
    I look at it this way--it's sort of like religions. Different people believe different things and we need to stop shoving our 'religions' down each other's throats.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• In the video, the boy is trouble b/c he pulled a colored card at school (my son's school does this too), and she was mad b/c he got a couple warnings in school (colored cards are warnings before sent to a time out chiar, then office). So, it's not like he really got in trouble at school, but even if he had, that doesn't justify any type of abuse. When my son pulled colored cards in school, we just talked about it that night and about what is expected at school, and what he could/would do at school to be a better listener and not get warnings. That's all.

Oh, i'd love to have an hour alone with that mom! I'd pour hot sauce down her throat, put her in an ice cold shower and yell at her for an hour...let's see how that makes her feel, her self-esteem, he feeling of being loved, kept safe, cared for? She makes me SICK. I hope they take those boys and give them to a better mom. I'll take them and love them.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 9:48 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I saw that on Dr.Phil too. I couldn't stand what I was seeing! I want to shove a hot jalapeƱo pepper in that ladies mouth or somewhere else! I feel terrible for those kids.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I remember someone asking about this a while ago - as in long before anyone had ever heard of this woman. People seemed pretty split on it then, and for a lot it came down to the difference between a single drop for a specific reason vs making them take spoonful after spoonful any time the parent gets mad. The woman in that video seems to fall into the second category - pouring it down her son's throat in quantities that exceed what you would ever use on food.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2011