How do you get your kids to stop snacking all the time?

My oldest child he's 8.5 seems to snack all the time. Even after he has eaten supper 20 min and he wants to snack.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Hide the snacks. I keep mine put away where they cant get them. I keep healthy go to snacks if they do get hungry. They have a bowl of fruit (apples, oranges, bananas etc) on the table. If they are real hungry and need a snack they get that or nothing. I also make my own homemade granola and they can have that.

Answer by gemgem at 9:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I have the same problem with my 10 y/o girl. She wants snacks all the time. I tell her she needs to wait and she gets mad. I recon she's just growing.

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 9:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Ha, I know exactly what you mean! My boys are 7 and 10. They come home from school starving. I let them choose a healthy, hearty snack after school to hold them over till dinner and a dessert type snack after dinner. I've learned that when my kids are bored they tend to want a snack!
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:43 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• If he's not overweight, he my need the calories. My boys snacked all the time...they still do, and are very thin. Just make sure that you keep plenty of healthy snacks, nuts, fruit, veggie sticks, lowfat cheese or yogurt. Several mini meals is better for them than a few big meals.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:45 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• By telling him no
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:45 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Put the snacks in a cabinet where he can't reach them. Have a new rule, one snack an hour before bedtime, and it has to be a healthy snack. You might start out, by putting out raw carrots and celery or grape tomatoes, if he whines that he's hungry, or raw broccoli. If you don't buy unhealthy snacks, they won't be there to eat .
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 9:45 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• OMG! My ds is 9 yrs. old and he is the same way I was starting to think he had some kind of worm in his stomach or something living in his stomach taking away all he eats bc he would come back asking for something else omg I have to get upset with him and tell him stop asking for stuff give it some time and then come back and we'll see and just maybe I'll give him something or I'll make him wait til dinner so he'll have some kind of hunger. my advice try not to give in if you know they ate good don't even bother give them fruit I guess that seems to keep their mouth busy...lol Then again they are growing boys let's just think healthy they will take it or leave.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Only healthy snacks- fresh fruits and vegetables, milk, dried fruits. Sometimes cheese and yogurt, or food that is suitable for a meal, such as a sandwich with whole grain bread or leftovers from the meal.

Answer by Bmat at 9:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• by not telling him no but by having healthy snack options for him to choose from.....growing children need a lot of calories and if they are getting them from healthy foods i see no problem in they having a snack....
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 9:48 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• tell him no, don't buy crap food, lock the cabinets........
    mama2bof2

Answer by mama2bof2 at 9:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2011