how do I get my 3 year old?

To properly hold a pencil without getting her getting frustrated. She can write a few letters that have hard lines, those she does with a clutched fist around the crayon or pencil. (H, A, E, F, I, L, T, V).
She likes to learn and I want to help her and encourage her. But when I do, she gets frustrated, throwing the pencil down and saying she can't do it. I never force her to try but I would like some new ideas. Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• she is 3, i would not push the issue. as she gets older, she will get the hang of it! you can try getting the fat crayons and pencils, though!
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 10:46 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Find some triangular crayons or pencils. Those help with grip. Also look for pencil grips that can be put on standard pencils. Otherwise, you sit across from her and have her mimic you. A light, loose grip above the tip of the pencil.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:48 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• http://www.drawyourworld.com/Catalog/HTML/pencil.html

Here are some examples of what I'm talking about.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• This helped my son (3) and he loved the picking his own colors.

The Pencil Grip Crossover Grip Ergonomic Writing Aid

Amazon.com

Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 12:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I use the large kindergarten pencils or the soft plastic pencil holders that go on the pencil. The smaller the hand the bigger the writing instrument. I teach kids to write using washable Crayola or Rose Art markers. They do not have to use as much pressure to write. A child will naturally grasp a pencil and I gently move their little hand into the correct writing position. Younger children I allow to grasp as they may until they are old enough or are interested in learning how to hold a pencil.
    Mommad1947

Answer by Mommad1947 at 1:36 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• A preschool teacher told me that using a paint brush at an easel was the same motion and position as they use for writing. All my kids loved using an easel. If you don't have an easel, try taping a large sheet of paper to a wall.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 9:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't push the issue either.....but you could try these or even giving super short pencils (that's what they did with my daughter in school) that are about 2 inches long.

(from link above)

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 11:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2011