Trash Can!! Ideas on how to keep him out of it??

Hi everyone, My one year old loves to open the lid on the trash can. I have a stainless steel simplehuman round trash can with a step petal and a lid. He opens the lid constantly and I need a solution!!! I can get a new trash can or a lock but I haven't really found any luck "googling" it... .does anyone have any recommendations?? The only solution that will not work is I can't do a pull out cabinet trash can, not enough cupboard space.

Deanna2426

Asked by Deanna2426 at 10:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I went through this with my daughter. You just have to keep saying no and redirecting him. I think I literally said "no" to my daughter over the garbage can 237 times before she got it. GL!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• http://www.simplehuman.com/products/trash-cans/kitchen/round-lid-lock.html

Marianne140

Answer by Marianne140 at 10:49 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I went to Walmart and bought a metal trash can holder that attaches to a kitchen drawer. It holds plastic grocery bags. I used getting into the trash as a teaching moment . You can't put everything up they need to learn to not touch. I start off by telling the child that the trash isn't for babies. They are curious and want to do what you do. I allowed my child to throw away trash for me ( like paper towels) and she lost interest in the trash because she knew what was in it.
    Mommad1947

Answer by Mommad1947 at 12:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Turn it so the pedal is against the wall.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 4:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2011