I need fitness advice!

My DH went and got a family membership to the YMCA yesterday. I am so excited to begin working out and getting in shape. I have many pounds to shed.

I'm wondering what kind of workout schedule I should shoot for. I am extremely busy and do not have a ton of time to spend at the gym, but I'd love to try to make it there 3 times a week.

If I go in there, I know I'll just find an elliptical machine, go for awhile, and then leave, because I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions on how to maximize my workouts for nice results but not get burned out?

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 11:15 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• Do they have a pool, thats a good workout.The treadmii and lift some light weights to begin with....good luck :)
    laur1963

Answer by laur1963 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• treadmill treadmill treadmill! working out your legs burns a lot of calories even when you're done working out. look up different workouts for each muscle group online, and you can split up your days by doing cardio every visit and then either upper body or lower body, and end with ab work. it might sound like alot but it's really not. time flies when you dont have time lol. when i first went to the gym i had no idea what any machine was for, so i tried out every single one atleast once. whatever gives you the best burn and you feel comfortable on, stick to it. then wheny ou gain more confidence or get bored you can move on to a new machine
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 11:19 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I joined a gym 4 years ago, and the beginning I didn't know what I was doing, I started googling exercises for developing certain muscles in my arms and legs, I got an over load of them so I picked a few and made it my routine. You should never exercise the same muscle groups two days in a row, you need to let the muscle rest and heal for at least a day, so alternate muscle groups in those three days and spend at least an hour in the gym doing so, you will quickly see results.

Answer by older at 11:22 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Maybe take some classes. That way you wont get bored and you also get to meet some new people. Makes working out more fun.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 11:37 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• some gyms give a free lesson for new members getting you comfotable with machines & a workout for you
    noelliekodasmum

Answer by noelliekodasmum at 1:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I miss the Y. I used to have a membership but where I live now there isnt one close. They will give you 3 trainer sessions for free. Tell your trainer to show you the circuit machines, which is what they will anyway. Once you feel comfortable with those machines, you can modify them using free weights, which I think are better because they provide you the flexibility of movement to get you more flexible. I went 5 days a week, 2 days I would do cardio (elliptical or a class...they have AWESOME classes if you can manage to schedule your workouts for these classes, they will really work you), 2 days I would do strength training, and 1 day I would double and do both. I lost 30 pounds in 2 months. I did some swimming, too I loved their water aerobics.
    huntin_mama

Answer by huntin_mama at 10:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2011