How to make a Chuck roast?

I have a chuck roast, but I'm not sure what to do with it. Please help!

Trinitysmom1205

Asked by Trinitysmom1205 at 11:27 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Food & Drink

• are you cooking in the slow cooker or the oven
    tearb

Answer by tearb at 11:36 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I was thinking about doing it in a slow cooker, but any idea's are great
    Trinitysmom1205

Comment by Trinitysmom1205 (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I would put it in the slow cooker with carrots, potatoes, celery and onions.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 1:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• You can make it in the oven the same way- veggies and spices with some stock-wrap in foil and bake.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Put it in the crock pot. You need a little liquid - broth, water, wine, pretty much anything non-dairy works. Season how you want - a packet of onion soup mix is quick & easy, I usually leave it plain. Cook on low a few hours, then add any veggies you want and cook a couple more hours or so. I wouldn't do a chuck in the oven, or it'll come out tougher. You don't have to add veggies either - you can just cook it, then shred & bbq, or use salsa for the liquid and make tacos or any mexican dish, or just slice it up and eat it as-is.
    Anonymous

• it needs to be braised or marinated to tenderize. season with S&P and some thyme. brown in a pan nicely to develope some flavor. add carrots, celery, onions, garlic, bay leaf and some tomato product ( sauce, paste, diced, crushed, heck even a dab of ketchup will work). I also like a dash of worchestershire sauce and some beef broth and simmer- stian and thicken gravy with a paste made from red wine and flour. MMM! wish I had a pot roast now!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• this is one of those things that it is nice to have a cast iron Dutch oven for or one of the enameled ones.
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 2:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• First I would brown it on both sides, then I would add some carrots, potatoes, onions, and let it cook til it falls apart. Take it out of the oven,set it on the table and enjoy.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 10:00 PM on Feb. 10, 2011