How can I get my breast fed 1yr. old to sleep through the night?

She doesn't sleep much at all. She may have a nap sometimes for 1hr. @ most. Then at night she will go down to sleep anywhere between 8pm and 10pm, but she wakes up again sometime between 12am-2am. She will feed and go back to sleep, but then she is up every 1/2hr. to every hr to feed and sleep again throughout the rest of the night, only to wake up and stay up between 8am-10am. I also have 3 boys 10, 7, & 5 so I can't just sleep when she is sleeping plus my husband works from 2pm-2am most days.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you really want more sleep, ya gotta wean her off of breastfeeding! Thats what I did when my son was about 1 1/2! He is sleeping through the night now and at first I woke up several times in the night cause I was so used to the miserable lack of sleep. You need your sleep and energy with those kids! Good Luck with your choice!
    Juju99

Answer by Juju99 at 8:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i was thinking the same thing. you don't have to wean her off the boob completely but you should take away that night feed. that is honestly the only reason she keeps waking at night is because she knows she will get that feeding. i weaned my son from the night feed around 10 months. it wasn't easy but was well worth it. i just gradually gave him an ounce or two less each night and then offered him water instead. let me tell you the water pissed him off but he figured out that was all he would get so he quit waking up.
    sterlids

Answer by sterlids at 8:46 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• My DD started having issues with sleeping through the night at around 10 months. She wanted to eat 1-2 times each night after I put her to sleep. I started giving her a meal/snack 30 min. before bedtime and then doing the bedtime routine...and breastfed her. It worked like a charm. She was just hungry! I have to do the same thing for nap time. She gets 4 full meals and countless snacks! I still b/f her every 2-3 hours during the day. When she wakes up now in the night crying, I just go rub her belly or back and she goes back to sleep. We do have to do the cry it out thing sometimes, but I only let her cry for 5 min. before coming in to rub her belly/back. She usually just goes back to sleep!
    stephanie.rose

Answer by stephanie.rose at 1:38 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• How old is she? I ahve a nine month old and I have a video moniter on her at nights... I may have been lucky because she really never got up through the night but she love to get up early in the morning... when she plays and she falls I am there but I ignore her when she is stuck or crying I let her solve her own problems ,,,Ihave a daughter that is a RNBN plus she is gracie's aunt.. ..she tells me I have done a really great job with Gracie.. when she gets up in the middle of the night I do not get up and get her.. she either cries or plays ...I have done this since she was a little baby... another thing that is great is teach them how to drink from a straw... wow it is nice when I give Gracie a sippy cup and she does not how to figure out how to use it...
    Dunty

Answer by Dunty at 1:45 AM on Nov. 16, 2008