HUGE group of kids to buy Christmas presents for...Ideas?!

What can I get 13 kids ages 4-13 for Christmas and break bank?
I have NO idea...
But is it rude to not get someones kids gifts if they give my son something? I have one child while they all have 2-3...

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 7:41 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I come from a big family and all the adults discuss this every year, we have done the following over the years:

- Have the kids draw names
    - Put a price limit, like everyone agrees in the $10 range, etc
    - Homemade

Talking about homemade, one year we made jarred cookie mix, in a nice jar w star shape cookie cutter tied to the top with twine and a personalized computer label on nice paper.
    DzineMama

Answer by DzineMama at 9:34 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• ?? Why are there so many kiddos? is this your family?? Suggest that each child draws a name, and can help pick out a present for the name they picked. It's almost rediculous to expect that you buy something for each and every one of them!
    If you're going to, I would just buy a $5-10 clearanced toy. Or you could just bake them some cookies. Sure, they'll already have cookies at home, but every kiddo likes sweets. lol.
    You could also make sugar cookies/gingerbread men, and give them each a packet of frosting and some decorative sprinkles so they can decorate their own cookie and eat it. A yummy craft project. lol.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 7:50 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• You could buy one gift for each group of siblings. Just get them like a movie or something that they will all enjoy. Like say your sister has 3 kids you can get all 3 kids 1 movie to share. Also, you could give them "coupons". Like give them a piece of paper that promises to treat them to ice cream, a day at the park, a movie, whatever. That way at least the money you spend will be spread out, and not just one big chunk of change all at once. : - )
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• don't feel its necessary to 'repay' with gifts to each child from the parents who buy your 'one' child a gift. its normal to want to reciprocate, but its costly, and ridiculous..if its expected by the other parents. if you can afford to, its not an issue. but you can't, so just buy the family/or/kids something they can all use/enjoy. baking goodies sometimes gets expensive, too. just get some kind of stocking stuffer/small denomination gift certicate if you feel you have to get each something. but by all means, don't break the bank...chances are, the kids will not remember who gave what within a month after xmax, and you will be the one with the huge credit card bill.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:56 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• haha..i meant 'xmas'..must have been thinking about maxing that card out!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:58 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I don't think its rude to not buy for all of them, because I don't think people should be giving gifts just because they expect something back, but I don't know what kind of history you have with everyone. I would try to totally head it off at the pass. I say tell your friends to skip the kids and you treat each other. I'll be a lot of the other moms would even be relieved if you just said, let's not do gifts this year. Or do the white elephant gift exchange where you're exchanging used, silly things.
    Frugalista

Answer by Frugalista at 9:06 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• www.worldvision.org Go to thier gift section. You can buy things for needy families and give a card to your family member. We teamed up for our kids in our family (5 all together). What we would have spent buying gifts for each others kids we bought a male and female goat for a third world family. They now have milk, baby goats to trade.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:20 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Or give a board game to each family (even a video game) one per family. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 9:21 PM on Nov. 15, 2008