Do you grow anything exotic in your garden?

misses_nick

Asked by misses_nick at 11:32 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We plant all heirloom veggies, so if you consider those exotic, then yep, we grow exotics...lol. I do have artic raspberry plants, which are extremely cold hardy and I recently aquired a miniature lemon tree, but it's an indoor plant.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• What do you consider exotic?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:33 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Just basil. I don't think that's exotic though :)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 11:38 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• To have anything REAL exotic, like mangoes or papaya's....you'd have to live in a tropical climate. I grow all kinds of things, but nothing that seems "exotic" to me. I guess when you say exotic, i think tropical fruit or something usually grown in in far away countries. It's kind of hard to grow things that don't like the climate you live in.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:41 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Holy basil,heirloom tomatoes,shitake mushrooms,and all kinds of flowers.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 2:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Well, like, I have Peruvian Purple Potatoes. Technically, those are "grown in far away countries." Orchids are exotic. Rare breeds and species of plants can be exotic. I also grow lots of heirloom vegetables, which I hear people refer to as exotic a lot, though I don't consider them exotic myself.
    misses_nick

Comment by misses_nick (original poster) at 11:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Well, i grow Tulsi. It's nto only my daighter's name, but it's also a reletive of the basil plant. They cal it "holy Basil" in India. Amost every home in india grows Tulsi, they use it for pooja (prayers) and such. It's also great for cooking & makes a yummy tea with plenty of health benefits. I have planted heirloom vegetables of all kinds. It's fun stuff.

I have grown odd potatoes, can't remember all the names, some of them do well down here in ga. I also have a few orchids. They have not bloomed in a long time, since i moved though. I think they are pissed with their new location. I also have some Irish Shamrocks that were brought back from ireland for me. I've seen them in plant shops though, so i don't think they're too rare. But, it was a great gift & they grow real well near my window & bloom a whole bunch in spring.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• OK, my new keyboard sucks. Sorry for my typo's...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2011