Should I Allow It?

A Year ago my kid's grandparents, from my husband's late wife, came to visit. The grandfather smacked my step daughter chrysta so hard it left bruises. The grandparents wanna start coming back around. I'm worried for my children, btu do i havea right to refuse them nd keep them out of their grandchildren's lives.

SLVN_Jen

Asked by SLVN_Jen at 7:51 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• The safety of your kids is your first priority. That's your number one job! I say you definately have the right to say who can and cannot be in your childrens' life, especially when it comes to their safety. I say, talk to your kids. How does she feel? I would strongly suggest that you lay down the law IF you decide to let them come back around. Nobody should be putting their hands on your kids!!!
    npacheco9

Answer by npacheco9 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• YES YOU DO, THEY ARE YOUR KIDS. NO ONE, AND I MEAN NO ONE, SMACKS MY KIDS! I WOULD'VE LOST IT ON THE OLD GUY!
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 7:54 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I would just lay down the law before the visit and tell them it won't happen again not in your presence, not ever
    Something like you wonl't be invited back or its assault and I'll press charges. Persoanlly I would tell them, hit my kids and I'll smack you silly but that probably would sit even worse
    Allysmom11

Answer by Allysmom11 at 7:56 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• yeah! Smacked her so hard it left marks! Sweetie, if he did that to my child his ass would have been in jail. I would have called the police, made a complaint, and then pursued charges. There is no way I would let any family member have access to my child after something like that. I understand that this is their late mother's parents - it doesn't matter who the hec they are. I would NEVER let my children around someone who has already abused them.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:00 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• i would just tell them if they do it again they will never see them and that the cops will be called. do they want to see them. i wouldn't if they slapped me.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I think, give them another chance, just let him know in advance that you will be responsible for all the disciplining.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:57 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I think you need to talk to you DH. You have ever right to protect your children and do what is best for them.
    If you give them another change then I would set the ground rules before they even come over. You might want to get together with them before they see the kids and let them know that if something like that happens again you are never going to let them see the kids again.
    Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• okay police?? yeah right we tried that.. they did nothing
    SLVN_Jen

Answer by SLVN_Jen at 4:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• You DEFINATELY have the right to refuse them visitation. It's up to you. If you fear for your children, I would express that to the grandparents. If it gets to the point where YOU feel comfortable allowing them to visit your children, then set the rules. Let them know that they are not to discipline your children...that is your job. If they can not comply with that, then they should stay away.
    cristie1276

Answer by cristie1276 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Tell them goodbye.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 12:44 AM on Nov. 17, 2008