can a 10 month old be "fresh"?!?!

my son is 10 months old, and sometimes i swear he is just fresh! my mom kept telling me im nuts that he doesnt no what hes doing..but today she changed her mind when he ripped her glasses off and threw them across the room!

he is constantly throwing things (that might be my fault we play catch with the ball maybe he doesnt no the difference) but he throws everything you give him, i tell him NO firmly but he just does this fake cry so you feel bad or doesnt care at all. He bites and hits sometimes, when he does i try and put him down right away and say no, but he'll just become hysterical

Does/did anybody else have this probelm? is this just his age, does he not know what hes doing? Should i continue to be stern? HELP lol

dmdemes

Asked by dmdemes at 11:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• they are babies. you want to teach him and be consistent but they do not really know any better. their are testing bounderies and yes it continues. they change over time and it will be something different. good luck just be consistant. my dd use to throw glasses and it was just playing. not being fresh. just reenforce that throwing is with a ball and show him over and over. get down to his level and distract him. its hard to really punish a baby though. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 12:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• He does know what he is doing. Children often start this kind of behavior around 8 months. It is your job to teach him to respect people and property, and to obey you when you tell him no. It used to be that we smacked their little hands and told them no. I happen to know that it still works very well, but you will have to decide whether or not you are going to use that method or whether you want to go down to the eye glasses place and buy someone a new pair of glasses when he breaks them. I would choose the former. It sounds like your child may be one of the more stronger willed ones, and an early start would be highly advisable.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• my kids know exactly what they're doing lol. dont overreact because yes he's still a baby and learning, but stay stern with your punishments or when you show him what he's doing is wrong. if oyu know the cry is fake, dont fall for it. he'll give it up when he sees it doesnt work anymore. when he throws something and oyu plan on giving it back, tell him the next time he throw s it he wont get it back, and when he does it again you pick it up and show it to him and tell "NO. now you're not getting it back because you threw it".... something like that. i always say talk talk talk. the more words you use the faster he'll learn to associate the consequences with the actions
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Sounds like you are doing what you should be.....YES they know what they are doing....when my son was that age and did something that he knew he was not suposed to do he would hide his face thinking that if he cant see you then you cant see him and he wont be in trouble anymore.....he still does that now at 19 months but now he will look up at you and if your still looking at him then he puts his head back down to "pout" But stick to your guns...my son never bit me till this past weekend and i was so shocked that i didnt know what to do at first and I just stood there looking at him stunned....But DH saw him and before you know it he was pouting again.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• normal stage. it will pass as he learns the meaning of no.
    madisun3

Answer by madisun3 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Sometimes "no" gets overused with little ones. Yes, they need to learn what it means and I do believe even at 10 months that he knows what he's doing and can learn what no means! But if he's wanting to throw things, give him something he CAN throw. Tell him "we don't throw glasses, we throw balls" and get him involved in a game, it lets him know that what he did is not okay but redirects his energy and attention to something else.

Answer by missanc at 1:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Throwong glasses is just fun at this age. They don't know what glasses or from their favorite toy. He's not doing it on purpose, he's just exploring. Its your job as a parent to keep things away from him and minimize the things he can destroy. When he does what he shouldn't do say "no" but don't overuse it and be sure to say "yes" as much as you can!
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 3:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2011