The problems going on in Egypt got me thinking . . .

Since the American Revolution, has there ever been an organized attempt to overthrow the US government?

I'm not intending to start one--I prefer our "peaceful overthrows" every four to eight years at the ballot box--but I think it says something about the United States that attempted overthrows don't happen that often, if they even happen at all.

tinamatt

Asked by tinamatt at 11:47 AM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Since the US has free elections, and a two term limit on the presidency that presidents respect, there is no need for overthrow. We can vote knowing that it will be a fair vote. In Egypt, they have had "elections" every 6 years in which their dictator was magically reelected with 99% of the vote each time.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:58 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Good question. I have no idea. Here's a bump.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Our government was originally set up in a manner to avoid the neccesity of such overthrows. Our branches of government are laid out in such a way that one man, even the President, doesn't have absolute power. There is a checks & balances system in place to prevent that.

However, part of the initial intent of the "right to bear arms" is so that all citizens are capable of protecting themselves and rising up against government should severe changes take place. When only goverment possess the weapons you have a police state. That was what the writers hoped to avoid ever occurring.

Could it happen? Yes. I hope it never comes to that, but if we settle ourselves into complacency and refuse to acknowledge the possibility we are setting ourselves up for failure. It does say something that it hasn't happened here. Most cases where this happens it is in a dictatorship or a communist government.
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 12:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Does the assassination or attempted assassination of a president count? 

Anonymous

• Not that I recall. I can see this happening here.
    Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 11:53 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• There has not been, because there is no need, since we elect our leaders, and there are three separate branches, so there is a balance of power. Pretty smart guys who set this up, don't you think?
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 12:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I meant that by would you consider Kennedy's assassination to be an overthrow. I'm not recommending violence.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• The civil war coupled with Lincoln's assassination would definitely count as an attempted overthrow.  Regan being shot by a crazy person would not.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 12:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I hope you're wrong, Christine. It would be terrible if someone did try to violently overthrow the government here!
    tinamatt

Comment by tinamatt (original poster) at 11:56 AM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't count the Civil War, because the South did not attempt an overthrow of the government in power. Rather, their argument was, should we be allowed to secede?

But Lincoln's assassination may count. I don't know all the details surrounding that incident but I know it was much more than Lincoln's shooting. The Secretary of State was also attacked.

I don't count the assassination or attempted assassination, because most of the people involved in those didn't have a plan to overthrow the government.
    tinamatt

Comment by tinamatt (original poster) at 12:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2011