when is a good time to give water to a baby?

my baby is a month old and am a little concerned on giving him water should I or Do i wait a little bit longer???

MommyOfJayden23

Asked by MommyOfJayden23 at 7:59 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I began giving my daughter water when she was a few months old. I breast fed but I didn't drink a lot of water myself so I felt she might need some extra. She drank very little of it so I would only put about two ounces in the bottle at one time.
    mamabliss

Answer by mamabliss at 8:05 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• well its okay to give youre son a little bit of water i did the same with my son so i think its okay
    maria_64

Answer by maria_64 at 8:29 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• I think your baby sounds a bit young to be getting water. You could be filling up his belly with water (with no nutrients) when he should be getting filled up on formula or breast milk so he gets the nutrients he needs. I don't know when you should start giving him water. My daughter didn't drink water until she was off bottles and formula. I have a personal opinion that bottles are for formula only (and milk after 1) and if my child wants something else- she can start to use a cup. And my daughter turned out just fine. I would ask your pediatrician to be sure- but I think it's too soon.
    Anonymous

• Ive heard six months, so that they continue to gain weight. Another thing about giving water to early is that their pulling reflexes are so strong that they pull to hard when drinking water. They can't tell the difference between water and milk so they pull too hard which can lead to seizures. If its an extremely hot day and your worried about dehydration then its ok for them to have a bottle of water other than that breast milk and formula have enough water. Im not a doctor and this information is a combination of what I read and was told by my doctor. I was really concerned about seizures because my mother suffers from them.

Anonymous

• I woudn't worry about water right now ...I think your baby is too young. My daughter at a month old had horrible gas one day so I did give her an ounce of warm water and I honestly believe that helped her pooped right away. But I wouldn't give your child water just because.
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 8:52 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Our pediatrician recommended only breast milk or formula until after she started eating solid foods, then we added juice and a little water to her daily diet. Do you have a breast pump? If so, look at your milk when it comes out into the pump. At first, it's really watery, then it gets a little thicker. My mom actually demanded to talk with my lactation consultant in the hospital because I wouldn't give my baby water to drink. The LC told her the first milk that comes out each feeding is like skim milk - really runny and watered down. After you feed for a short time it changes to like a runny milkshake - kinda thick and full of nutrition. My mom never bugged me again LOL
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 9:17 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• there is plenty of water in formula, if you feel theres not i would give her water only like 2x a day and not very much, it wont hurt her, it will just fill her up a little
    Anonymous

• Wait. Water too young can throw the baby's acid/base balance out of balance and cause seizures. Just stick with the formula/breastmilk. If you are getting plenty of wet dipey's a day and baby doesn't seem dehydrated, I wouldn't give water.
    Anonymous

• You can hurt your baby by giving water too soon..it throws off baby's electrolytes. Breastmilk or formula is all baby needs for the first six months. Once baby begins showing the signs of readiness for solids, a little water can be given with that. If you live in a really hot climate, are outdoors, and your baby is over the age of six months.....breastfeeding will meet those thirst needs but if formula-feeding, a little water won't hurt. HTH!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 11:15 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• my doctor told me 6 months.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 12:16 AM on Nov. 16, 2008