Healthcare reforum questions

Okay we all know everyone will be required to have it. My questions are what about those who can't afford the private insurance but make to much for state health insurance. What do they do? Or is it going to go based off of income? This is where I am confused.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 12:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• You will be forced to pay for it, and if you don't you will be assessed a penalty on your income taxes. If you don't pay the penalty on your taxes, you will be prosecuted by the IRS. The income limits for Medicaid will be raised slightly, and everyone who falls under that limit will be forced onto medicaid, because they will refuse to pay you a subsidy. Anyone who makes more than that limit will get a tax break to offset a portion of what they pay out for benefits (a set amount - if your insurance costs $1200 a month or $1800 a month, you'll still get the same amount back on your tax refund). Since you won't get that subsidy until you file your taxes the following year, it's your job to come up with all the money up front (same as day care credit you get in your taxes now if you use it).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• This entertaining little video says it all....very simplistically!! :o)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZG5GOorJ1U

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:12 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I have those questions also. I don't want health insurance!
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Interesting quandary that this will put some Americans in-
    For me, I am more concerned about the quality of care my family will receive than how I am going to pay for it-
    My rates are already through the roof-but I know I am lucky to be able to "afford" them (who can really afford outrageous rates)

I think until we gets going some of these questions will just be out there without answers- wait and see-
    I am not excited about this approach to something as important to me as the health care of my family ;(
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Lori
    You and those teddy bears frickin kill me every time.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Ashia not to be harsh at all but they really don't care what you want or don't want. They want you on this program so you'll either be on the program and pay for it or you'll pay the same amount for not being on it as an incentive to change your mind. Either way you're out of pocket.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 2:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• You will have to go into one of Obamas exchanges, Supposedly you will be able to choose from a number of different levels of care so everyone is expected to be able to afford one of them. LOL Anyway, you will have to buy into it or pay the fine at tax time.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

That's not harsh. If they gave a darn what people wanted they wouldn't have rammed this through. If they cared at all they might have made a point of reading what they were voting for
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 3:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• The U.S. district judge has ruled it all unconstitutional. The government can't move forward with it till the U.S. Supreme Court rules on it. If the Supreme court agrees with the U.S. district judge then Obama care is null and void.

If Obama tries to move forward with it he will be in contempt of court.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:44 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• They are going to extend medicaid for people who can't afford it. When the exchanges kick in it will make more affordable. If you don't want it I'm sure the penalty will be less then the insurance.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 12:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2011