Fevers over 105!!!

My DD is 2..and since she was 10 months she has been developing very high fevers..over 105. The fevers occur about every 30 days and the fever is her only symptom. No cough, no runny nose, no vomiting or diarrhea. Of course she gets fussy and lethargic and doesn't want to eat or drink much because her fever is so high.

She has been completely worked up at Childrens Mercy Hospital...blood work, urine samples, and they even checked her for cancer. All tests came back negative..thank God. The only thing that showed up was that her white blood cell count is high..which indicates an infection, but they have no idea where the infection could be.

She is on her 2nd set of tubes in her ears so we know it's not her ears. Most of the time they give her an antibiotic and it goes away. But other times they wait and see if it will go away on it's own. Which it has a couple of times..but most of the time an antibiotic is necessary..

This has been so frustrating. And it scares me to death when her fever gets that high..mainly because I have a stepsister that got a fever that high when she was a baby and it caused brain damage..she has been mentally retarded her whole life..

I am very grateful though that my baby does not get seizures with these high fevers..
I am curious to know if anyone has experienced anything similiar to this and if so what did they find out??

hoping73

Asked by hoping73 at 12:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• auto-immune?
    Celiac disease
    Lupus
    Ulcerative Colitis
    Lyme's Disease
    Anonymous

• I don't have a whole lot of help, but my brother got up over 108 when he was younger and beside being a standard 20 year old guy, he is fine. No brain damage. As far as the seizure thing goes, febrile seizures happen when the fever goes up too fast and not necessarily how high they get. My daughter has them occasionaly. I hope they get it figured out! Good luck!
    BansheeQueen

Answer by BansheeQueen at 12:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Have you mentioned to your doctor that your sister has had issues with fever? That's very important! They could start looking for hereditary conditions. Just because she hasn't had a seizure doesn't mean she can't. The first poster gave a pretty good list as well! Make sure you have a list of what she has been checked for so you can look up other possibilities to give to your doctor to look into.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• my son had cancer leukemia that started out like this if she has been tested for this maybe she should be retested.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 12:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My friend just went through this with her DD and she was getting feavers over 105 and she is only 6 months at the hospital they had to give her an icebath among other things to try to bring her temp down....ended up finding out a few months later that they have black mold under their dishwasher and it got all under the tiles in the walls and the cabnits and that was what was causing her to get so sick....But thankfuly they found out about everything and she is just fine now.

Have you tried going to another hospital to get another opinion on what is going on? Im sorry I cant be more helpful. Good luck and im gald your DD has not had any serious effects due to the high temp. Hang in there hun!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Musicmom...there would be no point bring up her sisters feavers....If you were paying atention when you were reading you would have noticed that she said STEPsister....so there would be no point looking for hereditary conditions....that would just be waisting time.

Good luck and hope you find out what is going on.
    Anonymous

• How scary - it's hard when your kids are sick and even more trying when you don't know why!

Have you done any testing for food allergies? We worked with a couple whose son was allergic to some very specific foods or food additives and consuming these would make his fever spike.

Good luck to you!
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 12:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Anon, did you seriously post just to correct something so minor? Seriously? And hide behind a ?Grow up. Learn how to spell fever as well before you go telling others how to treat one. Thanks!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• BTW, you can tell by the post and the way you type, who you are. So what's the point in posting anon?
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I would call her ped doctor. Good Luck.
    Anonymous