13 month old....NOT WALKING....WHY???

hey everyone..i just had a concern, i have a girl, she just turned 13 months old on feb 1st....we have tried to put her on the ground for tummy time, she starts to get cranky, and then eventually she crys...she also doesnt want to stand or walk...when we put her up to the coffee table she may stand for a little bit, maybe 15 seconds, then she wants to sit again. As for holding her hands to see if she will walk with someone, she bounces her legs....she loves the jolly jumper...so i dont understand why she doesnt want to walk....:( i dont know what to do...we dont hold her all the time, she sits and watches tv, and she talks like a normal 1 year old would say...at her 12 month check up, the doctor checked her out because i had mentioned to him that she doesnt do anything but just sit and play...he said she should be getting around...i said yes i know but she isnt....everything is normal he said..ok so why doesnt she want to do anything..??? im getting very upset and annoyed...can anyone help???

along1985

Asked by along1985 at 12:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd definitely bring it up to the doctor but I'm surpised he/she didn't ask at your baby's 12 month well check. But that's definitely not normal for a 13 month old to not bear any weight.
    Anonymous

• Not normal. She may need physical and or occupational therapy. Consult with your doctor.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 12:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Have you tried putting her in an exer-saucer? Also, I wonder if she's been held a lot. I would definitely bring it to the attention of her doctor.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• doctor! if they dont tell you anything, find another one.
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Take here to the doctor. I agree with the saucer and more tummy time. Babies don't usually like to be on their tummies so you might start with a few minutes at a time as you sit with her on the ground and play.
    Mommad1947

Answer by Mommad1947 at 12:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• DOCTOR! I'm a little worried that a doctor wasn't brought into the situation sooner. I wish you and your daughter luck!
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 12:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Ask the Doctor to check her hips again. Sounds like Hip Dysplasia. It's not that big of deal if caught. Casts and braces for a while, then after it's like nothing was wrong.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 1:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I would call and talk to your dr asap.
    I can see how she may not be walking yet. But no crawling, not even trying, no weight on her legs, and a lot of crying? I'd be worried
    But i do suggest an exer saucer. It might help her.
    Good luck
    ..
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 1:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• That sounds like something you need to discuss with her doctor. It sounds like either she has a body issue that is preventing her from wanting to crawl/walk (even stand), or she has developmental issues.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• well...ill tell everyone here....she has held herself up and looked in the bathtub...she does not have anything wrong with her hips...also her develpmental skills...she talks, and shes very smart...as for the crying, i said that she crys when shes put on her tummy, because she doesnt want to crawl...nothing is wrong with her legs, when i took her for her 12 month check up he said that her legs are normal..and everything has developed normal...i just dont know why she doesnt wanna do anything...
    along1985

Comment by along1985 (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2011