Why is it that school officials seem to think they have a need to "relabel" a child when it won't necessarily change his services?

My child is 8. At 4, it looked like he had trouble sitting and paying attention... At 5, he it was brought to my attention, almost immediately that he had signs/symptoms of ADHD, and would we consider more screening? He had the Connor Scale done, and further testing with a neuropsychologist, and it was suggested that he had ADHD..... Primarily Inattentive. He spent 2 years in kindergarten due to need for OT for handwriting Need I say he has some difficulty with social and emotional issues, but nothing major. He is on medication for ADHD--in school only, and has been since kindergarten. He is in a multi-age classroom (2nd year of 3) and is doing well, per his teacher.......I got a call from the school psychologist, who is doing his "3 year review" and she wants to meet to discuss Aspergers????? It won't change his services (practically non-existant at this point) he has speech- at this point he doesn't need, but i let them continue service, as he is working on social skills, which is integrated in.... No more OT--that was done at the end of last year... He doesn't need the consultant teacher on a regular basis )originally for supervision during academics for 1/2 hour-1 hour a day.. Now, 15 minutes monthly...... He's a well-adjusted only child with a great vocabulary. He has friends, and seems to be happy.

He may have some of the characteristics of aspergers, but not many.... WHY break a system that isn't broken?????

momtomatthew02

Asked by momtomatthew02 at 12:39 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• To make sure that your child is getting everything he needs. It may help you later down the road.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 12:44 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Well my son is only 3 and has been evaluated through the ECI and diagnosed with severe anxiety, not to the level of therapy but he has a lot of aspergers symptoms and there's not doubt in MY mind, that ADHD will be an issue because at 3 he can't even sleep still without figgiting all over and his preschool/daycare provider said he can't focus even for his 3 year old age... maybe they are trying to just get you more services to better benefit HIM.. I dont know. I think although things seem fine, it never hurts to learn the most you can about your child..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It is important for several reasons. The first reason is what PP suggested. It is to make sure that your child is getting the services they need. You have the right to refuse those services, but the school is making sure you are aware of his issues. If the school did not do this, you could go back and sue them later on. Another reason is that this could be important later on. Your child is only 8, but as he gets older, there may be changes that are needed. Having this diagnosis now could make a huge difference in the timely manner that your chidl receives services.
    From what you described, he could very well be Aspergers. Get him all the services you can while he is young and it will mean a better future for him later.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I would have all evaluations done Privately not through the school system.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 1:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• If he doesn't have enough symptoms of asperger's, then it won't be diagnosed so it's a non-issue. There may be more services available to a child with aspergers as opposed to ADHD. It doesn't sound like it's important now, but many children with asperger's start to have more difficulty in late elementary/middle school when the social expectations increase. If he starts having trouble down the road you don't want to waste time changing paperwork before the services can be put into place.

Answer by missanc at 1:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

___________
    Just a warning--some schools do recognize private diagnostics
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 2:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I am far from a fan of labling children!!! Mainly because what fits a lable one year can magically change into another down the road, and all falls back on techers deciding to ask parents to medicate a child, rather than DO THEIR JOB?!?! They are not a flipping doctor, but seem to pretend to be one!!!

I watched my now 15 year old, do kindergarten twice, he was extremely smart, and tested HIGH, and had the vocabulary of a college student while in kindergarten!!! Few years later they started preaching aspergers to me, I even did an IEP, and it was usually some damn teacher, having me run to the doctor for a new lable, new medication.. and I finally got to the point I litterally had my son committed to a psych ward... turns out he was just "Anti-Social", nothing wrong with him, other than he can't relate well to other people!?!?! I medicated him for year, possibly doing damage that can't be reversed...

Be careful...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 4:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I have a son who is 5, knows all his work, tests just fine, and can't "sit still"... I let the teacher know that unless she is a damn doctor, leave me the hell alone?!?! I refuse to do the song and dance of medicating my child to make a teacher's job easier, or because my kid is playing with his pencil at his desk because he already knows th work, ... I smile and let her know that I refuse to!!! And if she so much as mentions him doing Kindergarten twice, I pray she is prepared to be put in her place... if she was half as educated as she pretends to be... she wouldn't be divorced, working a crappy job in a public school, and her students wouldn't be behind where my edlest son was accademically 10 years ago???

I will not be ashamed for pushing education in our home, helping our children be accademically above others, and than when in school they are bored because the TEACHER is behind them...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Schools get more money if they have "Special" kids... I have to wonder how many are medicated like my eldest son was to draw in a few dollars!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• So, MommaClark--I am uneducated because I am divorced and work as a teacher?

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

BTW, you are right, schools get money to help with special ed students, but typically, what they get in funds do not cover the education they provide.

And being medicated is not the criteria for receiving those funds.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2011