Why do people??

use professional associations such as the WHO or the AAP when they want to prove a point with which they agree, (such as breast feeding, introducing solid foods, etc) but dispute those same organizations for other issues (such as having an infant co sleep in the same bed or vaccines) when they don't agree with them.

layh41407

Asked by layh41407 at 12:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• Because people are stubborn like that.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 12:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Everybody likes to be right... I know I do.
    Blabbermouth

Answer by Blabbermouth at 12:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Because just because you like something that an organization is doing does not mean that you like EVERYTHING that they are doing.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 12:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Shelii

I understand that, but I see a lot of people saying like "well, it is AAP or WHO recommendations and and they say this is what is best, and why would you not want to do what's best for your children..yada, yada, blah, blah blah".
    So, if they are saying that the AAP and the WHO is giving the recommendations for what is best for our children, why do they not follow their recommendations for other things.

why do they throw the name of the organization out only when they want that backing, but then say "They don't know everything" when they want to disagree. If they have the right to disagree, don't others?
    layh41407

Comment by layh41407 (original poster) at 12:53 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It is like a democrat who is intelligent enough to disagree with some democrat ideas. Or a republican that is intelligent enough to disagree with some republican ideas. It is great that some people can think about the individual issues not just go along with the group.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• You know why. It's because people don't really think about what they are saying. We like it when others agree with our perspective, so we might try to discredit people who don't. It's human nature. Usually these beliefs/decisions are made at least partially based on emotions... and when you make decisions based partially on emotions, well, of course it's hard to make a completely rational and objective argument. This is true with any polarizing topic (mothering, religion, politics, etc.) However, unlike in politics, moms don't have to declare which side you are on, so I get what you are saying.
    Sebbiemama

Answer by Sebbiemama at 1:46 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Because it is easier to get people to believe them if an organization agrees with them. It gives them the power to say, breastfeed for 6 years because I read it in a book.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 2:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Personally, I don't give a rip what those "organizations" have to say. People have been raising children for generations without the recommendations of organizations who change their "guidelines" all the time.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• No differentthan those peoplethat try and shove rear facing a carseat until 5 years old and posting youtube video, articles, and calling those who don't "ignorant"... or those people that push breastfeeding over bottle feeding and than bashing those who don't do/act like them... or those that do the cloth diapers vs. disposable (thankfully these are far and few between)... and the list goes on...

I personally get tired of people on CM, because I don't expirience such arrogance in other social networking groups, that push crap down your throat instead of respecting others choices????
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• IDK
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 12:14 AM on Feb. 3, 2011