When looking at a In home daycare?

What kind of things are you looking for? I might start watching a little boy (just over the age of 1 I think) and Im clueless as to what she will look for?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I looked for how clean it was, if there was a specific "play area" "nap time area" food schedule, I asked how she attempts discipline for ages of children to see if I agreed with it. How she deals with fits/tantrums/ crying etc. Who is her backup in case she is sick. meal TIMEs for the kids. how much tv is watched, what activities are done throughout the day. CPR training. Needed to see her License to care.. the over all environment and upkeep of the yard / house and if the kids there seemed happy.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• That you are certified in CPR and first aid.
    Smoke-free environment.

Well, more of course, but my head isn't clear right now. I'm sure others can provide more insight.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 12:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Ask what she does if she is sick? Does she close for the day? In the past 2 years how often was she sick? This will affect you if you need to be at work and she closes because she is sick. Does she take the kids outside? What are the ages of the other kids?
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 1:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• If that person has had experience in raising or watching other children through out her life, and how well she connects with my children, and also the other way around, how well my children connect with her. Also I might ask her what are some of the activities she might do with the kids like color/arts and crafts, or go for walks to maybe the park or something. As long as everyone feels comfortable with everyone for the most part, and you can reasher the childs parent that you won't just be sitting their kid in fromt of the tv, and walking away things should work out fine.
    ZLandAJsmommy

Answer by ZLandAJsmommy at 1:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Thank you ladies I should just stop freaking out hahaha the outside (not where I let my kids play) is trashed well just tons of junk because of my X but im making him take care of that this weekend so that wont be a problem
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I looked for someone licensed first off. When interviewing her I wanted to see that she had a set schedulefollowed everyday, and that kids were engaged in actual learning activities as the day went on. I read through the contract as well, reviewing all policies. Price played a role too.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 2:48 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Just found this out the other day. In some state it is against the law to watch non-related children in your home for more than 4 hours a day. Just google unlicensed childcare providers. My friend was watching 2 kids and was served a 700 dollar fine by DHR. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Thanks for the heads up but my state doesn't require licensing for less than 3 children in care we will count my 2 plus that one is 3 so im not breaking any rules plus I watched a little girl for a while getting state aid and they didnt say anything about me not having a License

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2011