How much does it cost to adopt a newborn? Local not international

i think they're called private adoptions. getting a newborn from an orphanage isn't a sure thing (they're usually older when i've looked into it), so i guess it has to be done with a pregnant woman. how does that work?

Mrs.L.Mita

Asked by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Adoption

• None of these answers are accurate. As a mother who has adopted 4 times, once through an agency and 3 times privately I can say that you should do a lot of research. Laws vary by State. What Summerbear said sounds to me like ONE experience. But there are a million variables. To answer your question, domestic infant adoption costs between $20,000- $40,000. Foster care adoption is close to free- but adopting from foster care without fostering is not that easy. If you sign up to foster, you sign up to give that child back to it's family. There is no avoiding the heartbreak. Adoption is not an easy journey. Don't lose hope though. Do a TON of research. Good luck.
    hollyanne31

Answer by hollyanne31 at 12:32 AM on Feb. 3, 2011

• As far as I know it doesn't cost anything if you foster them, then adopt later on. But, if your looking to adopt right away, there is generally a lot of money and time involved.
    Alyann94

Answer by Alyann94 at 12:56 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i really dont know
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Adding to what I just put (re-read the question)... the agency matches you up, or has the birth mother pick you out of a line up of other profiles that you make up for the birth mother to see. When you are picked, if it is an open adoption, where you have the option to keep in contact with the birthmom, send her pictures, let her visit once a year or so, you can meet up have the chance to go to appointments, listen to the heartbeat, be present at the birth, and of course, start paying.. If it is private, you do not have any comtact with the birthmom while she is pregnant. After the mom gives birth the baby stays with her in the hospital and when she is released (barring any medical conditions) the baby is released to YOU. The mother in either case has the right to change her mind up to 48 hours after the birth of the child. You would have to check with your local adoption agency on their policies if that were to happen.
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 2:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Do you have any idea how long i'd have to foster before being eligible for adoption? i dont have the heart to foster a baby with the risk of them being taken away. i'd lose it
    Mrs.L.Mita

Comment by Mrs.L.Mita (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My sil does this "foster". I did ask her is this hard for you? Her reply is that she is helping as many children as she can. I know right now she has a newborn who is 8 weeks old she picked him up when he was first born.. When I went to visit her I could not stop kissing that baby, so sweet. I could not do what she is doing I would get to attached. My sil has helped about 10 children so far. My sil has such a good heart, she makes every child a scrap book and when they leave they take this with them. My sis has 2 children of her own. I think if you are interested you can adopt them.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 1:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• They make you cover medical costs and legal fees... so look into insurance and local lawyer fees? I personally would have no problem doing it for another couple and have my own insurance, but most insurance comapnies do not cover you if the child is being adopted out...
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 1:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Where we live, the TOTAL for all fees and medical costs was about $18,000. With an adopted child the state covers the childs college schooling even though you don't get any money from the state like foster parents do.
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 2:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• my insurance more than likely wouldn't cover it. i would take the risk of fostering to then adopt if the wait time was short. i only say risk because of having the child suddenly taken away (it happened to someone i know right before she adopted the baby and it was terrible)
    Mrs.L.Mita

Comment by Mrs.L.Mita (original poster) at 2:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• thanks summerbear that's a whole lot to deal with. it feels intimidating to go through but money aside, i'm really interested
    Mrs.L.Mita

Comment by Mrs.L.Mita (original poster) at 2:31 PM on Feb. 2, 2011