Should I show my son pictures of his father that isn't around??

My son is 16 months old and calls every guy he see's, "DADDY"; I'm not sure if I should help him see who is father is, or let him learn on his own when he gets older.

Alyann94

Asked by Alyann94 at 12:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• In my opinion if you aren't going to be seeing his father or if his father is not going to be coming back then I would not really explain things to him. I might say something like "No honey that is not your daddy." If the reason his father is not around for example is because he is a soldier and serving the country then I would show him pictures of his father and let him know who he is.

I think in the end it is really up to you what you think is best.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I would show your child pictures of his father to him. I would also not talk badly about his father even if he deserves it. This is something that your child will have to learn to cope with. You want to make it as easy for him as possible. Don't tell him that his father didn't want him even of its true. Try to give him positive answers to his questions now the questions will be harder once he gets older.
    Right now he wants to know who his father is show him the picture and tell him he doesn't live here. Don't lie, but its like the little boy who asks his mom where he came from. She gave him the whole birds and bees story and all he wanted to know is was he from Chicago.
    Mommad1947

Answer by Mommad1947 at 1:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I agree with cornflake
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I wouldn't show him until he starts asking. If his father isn't a part of his life, no need to make his father a part of his life. When he's older and asking though, I think everyone should know as much as they can about where they came from, if they care to know.
    Anonymous

• My son is nearly 3, his daddy lives with us and he'll still say "Hi Daddy, hi!" to some random guy! I point out to him that Daddy is at work. Most of the time, the random guy thinks he's cute.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 4:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i would redirect him when he calls these people daddy. and as for my girls, they can find out about their dads when they're old enough to ask questions.
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 9:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It's probably just a phase. He's too young to fully understand what a daddy is without a daddy being there. I would hold off on the pictures. Wait until he starts asking questions which is usually around the age they start school. Then show him pictures and say "that's your daddy." Then give them a simple reason as to why they left. For example, we're going to tell my step son his mommy had to go away because she was sick. It's not a lie but at the same time it's not telling him "You're mother was an alcoholic and she left because she wanted to kiss boys other than daddy" . And as a divorce child I can not stress enough the importance of not bad mouthing his dad. If you speak badly of them that's just going to make them want to seek him out. Let him make up his own mind about it as he gets older, answer his questions diplomatically and just be there to listen when he needs you to.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 12:39 AM on Feb. 4, 2011