What would you do if YOUR child was the bully?

There was a topic about children being tought tolerance toward gays at school. Im wondering if you found out that your child was the bully what would you do? Would you do something different if they were bulling a gay person, def, short, poor etc.
I will and am teaching my children that all people are created equal but different. I was the kid in school that if you did any bullying in front of me I put you in your place. I did not put up with it being done in front of me what so ever and that is what I will teach my children. To not just do the bullying but stand up for those who cannot stand up for themselves.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in General Parenting

• If I knew that my child was bullying then I would get him professional help. Being a bully is harassment and also violates other children's rights. It is serious and I want my child to know I am serious about him being respectful of others. A bully today is a bully tomorrow - only "tomorrow" might be picking on his children, beating his wife, sexaully harassing a female coworker, making racial or homophobic slurs to his coworkers....So if I knew my child was a bully I would make every effort to get him the help he needs. Being a bully is a sickness that the symptoms need to be treated. My son would see a therapist, see the school counselor, have privledges taken away, and would have an intervention so fast it would make his head spin.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:55 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Oop I worded that last sentence wrong, I meant that not do any bullying but to stand up for those that cannot.
    Anonymous

• My ds was a bully for a short period of time, I just took his weaknesses and said "How would you feel if some one was picking on you about ..." did that for awhile, then got an older cousin in on it, had him tease my ds about things that he was insecure about , the bullying stopped in a couple of weeks. He had to learn empathy along with the tolerance, now he stands up for kids being bullied to the point of almost getting suspended for it!
    Anonymous