Sleeping baby...

I have a 9 day old son who( I think) has his days and nights mixed up, What is the best way to switch it? Hoping to actually sleep someday soon...

Mamakat90

Asked by Mamakat90 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 15, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's tough, I hope you get some sleep soon : ) ...During the day I would wake him up to feed him every 3 hrs (if he's sleeping that much) and obviously at night let him sleep if he sleeps past the 3 hr mark! gluck and enjoy your new little one! xoxo
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 8:44 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Babies don't know day from night so like Mrs.Pilat say's , be sure to wake to feed like clock work every 3hrs and at night let him sleep. keep the room light during the day too, that helped w/ my girls.:)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 9:32 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• NEVER WAKE A SLEEPING baby. let him lie!!! he will figure it out eventually. Its impossible tokeep a baby awake . ive tried it. Hunter was the same way. but he sleeps now at night...sometimes a year later
    Leathersj

Answer by Leathersj at 11:14 PM on Nov. 15, 2008

• Your son is young enough where it's ok to wake him for feedings...some babies sleep too long and miss meals, which is bad for their growing bodies and bad for your milk makers if your breastfeeding.

As far as the day and night thing goes, most babies have them mixed up in the beginning. Follow the day is light, night is dark deal, but also be prepared for it to take awhile: babies aren't known for allowing their parents to get a lot of sleep, those that get it are lucky and need to remember that (I, for the most part, am a lucky one!).
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:37 AM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I woke my son up every two hours to breastfeed during the day without fail to get him to sleep at night. I also started a bedtime routine from day one. I only nursed him in his room for the meal just before bed ( and the middle of the night meal). I put on white noise and had the lights low to cue him that it was time for bed. I also didnt talk to him during these feedings and made sure to change his diaper before nursing so I could put him directly to bed after he fell asleep on the breast. He is now 6 weeks old and sleeps great at night. Good Luck!
    lexirae

Answer by lexirae at 1:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2008