How do you prep your child for their first dental appointment?

My DD has an appointment on Monday and I was wondering how you all prepared your child for their first dental appointment.

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 2:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• i'm taking my dd for her 1st on tuesday, i just told her they are going to look in her mouth and clean her teeth, she's actually super excited GL :)
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• My son turned 3 in Nov and had his first appt in Jan. I talked about how fun it will be and how white and sparkly his teeth would be.. he also loves to brush and floss so that was super exciting.. and the dentist really only counted his teeth and gave him a new toothbrush. toothpaste and a sticker so he was super happy about his trip -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I'd let the Dr. look at my mouth first. Show that it's safe and not scary. Or maybe the Dr. is trained, and you don't have to do anything. (wouldn't that be great)
    Ms.Cristi

Answer by Ms.Cristi at 2:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I just told my daughter he was going to brush her teeth and they would feel really clean afterward.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• THe one I'm taking to gets rave reviews by just about everyone in town. HE's like an hour and a half away and everyone says he's worth it, so i'm not too worried but still worried at the same time. You know?
    Imogine

Comment by Imogine (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I told him to get in the chair and sit still.
    ?
    He does what he's told, all 3 do. LOL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Maybe make an adventure out of it, and then possibly a treat afterward, like a toy or going to their favorite place.
    TwilightMack

Answer by TwilightMack at 3:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2011