"White?"

Sorry if I offend. I was sitting in my Sociology class and I just started to think about all of this when we were talking about race.

What is "white?" I don't consider myself "white." My family was not a part of the people that came here and first called themselves "white." My family was forced into the lower class because they got here later then the "whites". They were forced to change their last name because the "whites" couldn't pronounce it. My people were killed off by the dirty "whites" that came and claimed this as their land and they were forced into slavery by the people south of the border. So then why am I forced to check the "Caucasian/White" box?
What is the actual definition of "white?"

iluvmm09

Asked by iluvmm09 at 2:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Just for Fun

• What is your descent?
    Anonymous

• I'm mostly Native American from my dad's side but my mom's side are Polish, Hungarian, Swedish and German. But everything I said my family has actually gone through.
    iluvmm09

Comment by iluvmm09 (original poster) at 2:19 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I consider white anything of European descent. I don't check off those boxes though, it doesn't matter what I am, not to mention I am more than just one. I either make something up, or check "other" or "decline to respond". I think I said I was Pacific Islander on my SAT's (I'm "white"and mexican). It's all for statistical purposes anyway and I'd rather my knowledge have nothing to do with my race. Only time I am honest is on things like blood tests when it DOES matter, and maybe the Census.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• good question.sorry i dont have an answer for it,i bumped it though
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 2:34 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I think you are confused about race and ethnicity or nationality. There are three races Caucasoid (Caucasian/white) Negroid (Negro/black) and Mongoloid (Oriental/yellow) When you mention Polish, Hungarian, Swedish, and German-those are Nationalities. Perhaps if you had been listening in class, this might have been explained. You are not forced to check any box, and usually there is an Native American and an other box, if you feel those would make you feel better. But checking a box doesn't change who you are, it just for informational purposes.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 3:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I'm so multi racial, can't count them all on my fingers, hubby is multiracial too.... and our children have us combined... so I don't get the whole judging by race since in America... NAME ONE FREAKING PERSON YOU KNOW THAT IS JUST ONE RACE???? Seriously, I met one man in my life, college professor, from Egypt, and I remember asking him because I couldn't place my mind/finger one what his "mix" was!!! I know no one in my life that isn't MIXED
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:50 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• This is a good question
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 1:49 AM on Feb. 3, 2011