Why is it....

that Native Americans receive payments and special treatments for what happened to them 100's of years ago but African Americans are expected to get over it???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• wow that is a raw issue the only thing I have heard about with indianas getting money is here in louisiana do to the bp oil spill affecting their fishing money or shit....but i dont think anyone should be treated special...if you want to go there then why dont the jews get special treatment
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 2:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I take it you have never seen a reservation. Most reservations look like 3rd world countries the poverty rate is unheard of any where else in the US. Not saying AAs should get over it, but NAs do not have it as easy as you seem to think.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Because Native Americans still don't have a place to call home and still, politically, get treated like shit. African Americans got their freedom and then their rights but Native Americans have yet to get everything that was taken from them.
    iluvmm09

Answer by iluvmm09 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Might I suggest you research the treatment of Native Americans in the present climate of our country. You need look no further then the last few years in NY state where Patterson all but declared war on the Seneca Nation.
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 2:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Native Americans had their land stolen from them, so tax-free reservations were set up. That seems fair. I don't know what "payments" you are referring to?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 2:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• The chippewas I know sure aren't complaining. They are getting thousands from casinos
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 2:45 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• native americans owned the land.... we stole their land, invaded, killed most of their entire society... well into the 1970's NA children were in schools to socialize them and being abused in the process... it sucks what happened with slavery and then segregation, it really does, but there is affirmative action. so if an AA person with the same qualifications applied for the same job as me i lose - tell me how THAT is fair. i live in ohio - my family helped people along the underground railroad and there is no reason i should pay for other people's mistakes.... i didnt do that to anyone. and i am like 1/64th or something cherokee but dont qualify for shit... everyone needs to simply accept the fact that the world isnt fair. that you have to fight for what you want while others are served on silver platters. the sooner a person can do that - the sooner they have peace.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:51 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• If the payments your referring to are per capitas then that's money that they earn themselves. It's money that comes from their businesses, such as fishing, casinos, and logging. They use the money to keep their businesses going and to give out to their enrolled tribal members.
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 3:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Native Americans had their land stolen from them, so tax-free reservations were set up

and Africans were stolen from their land and brought here....with nothing.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 3:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Good question. I don't think AA should 'get over it' but they are given many opportunities today, even sometimes more than white Americans. American Indians were given land for free which they agreed to (possibly pressured to sign a treaty). Some make money off that land (casinos). AA were given freedom which to me is nothing to complain about... American Indians have it worse, imo.
    Anonymous