Has anyone ever baked ice cream cone cupcakes before?

I had a friend that made these for my girls one time. I want to try and make them for their Valentine Party on the 14th. Any advice. She said I have to make sure to be real still around the oven or the cones will fall over easily. I want them to turn out good. Is there any deep muffin pans than the regular ones so this wont happen? And what is the best cake mix and toppings you have used?

jbond83

Asked by jbond83 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I've made them as well. Make sure you only fill them 1/2 -2/3 of the way, because once they over flow they look horrid. They make colored cones now. I've dipped them in melted chocolate all the way to the "inner lip" of the cupcake. Then I've drawn hearts with white chocolate, or you can frost them after the chocolate sets. Make sure you don't do these the night before, they lose there crunch. I've always woke up extra early the day of the occasion. Good luck, I'm sure they will be a big hit. (I've only ever used a cookie sheet, I've never had a problem with them the cake batter seems to make them heavy enough)
    kitchenwitch78

Answer by kitchenwitch78 at 3:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i jammed all mine in a cake pan so they wouldnt fall over...i used strawberry cake and strawberry frosting
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 2:57 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• oh and maybe decorate them with some conversation hearts
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 2:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i've made them several times, kids love them (i do too). I've tried using a muffin tin, doesn't work. I too, jam them into a cake pan, that seems to work best. don't fill them all the way to the top, they overflow when baking. I've used strawberry, funfettie, and chocolate cake mix.

they make a cupcake-cone silicone holder/baker now. can't remember where i've seen it. maybe check bed, bath and beyond or harriet carter, or just google it? but the cake pan is just as easy.

that sounds like fun to make for valentine's!!! thanks for the reminder of that fun treat!
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Such a cute idea. I hope it works well for you. I haven't made these myself, but here is what my neighbor (who has done many) recommends:

- To prevent them from falling, put a little ring of scrunched up aluminum foil around the cones before placing them in the muffin pan.

- Use any cake or muffin batter that you know rises well, and be sure your oven is well heated when they go in.
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 3:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I love making these every so often... just treat it like any other cupcake!!! Whatever batter, frosting, and topping you prefer will work.... just don't fill the batter too high in the cone or it'll be a flop?
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i made them last year for dd's bday. she freaing loved them! i also put them all the cake pan~ and like someone already mentioned don't overfill them.. or over bake them... they seemed to burn easy.
    sandjmom99

Answer by sandjmom99 at 4:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Yes, I jammed mine in a large baking pan too-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 5:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• put crumpled foil in the muffin cup to help hold steady
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 6:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Ooooh I'm so glad you asked. I've been wanting to make these forever! I got great ideas from all the ladies!
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 7:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2011