How much is enough?

Because of my recent job loss, my husband, I and two kids are about to move in with his mother. We want to agree upon an amount to give her, we plan to be there a month and a half at best. We are considering $200 a month. We are being evicted and have to pay almost a thousand dollars in past due rent and fees. Not to mention we got scammed on a car purchase and now have to use our income tax to buy a new vehicle. Is this amount an insult?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Relationships

• No one on this board can honestly tell you what's fair without knowing the financial situation of your MIL. You should talk with her and see what her opinion is on this. Just because she's his mother doesn't mean she's financially capable of feeding four more people and paying for extra utilities. Talk with her...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:33 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Just ask her. She may ask that you simply buy groceries for your own family and IMO that is something that I would be comfortable with. My home is open to anyone at any time but long term the grocery situation gets frustrating. Ask her and let her know you'll be buying groceries. GL
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 3:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• No, considering the bind you are in.

Answer by older at 3:02 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• sounds good to me
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 3:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I dont think so...have you asked her how much and will you be buying your own groceries?
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 3:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• No, it is his mother, and she should be willing to help and if $200 is what you can afford, then $200 it is. Good luck
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 3:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Yes it is. That wont even cover your monthly food bill. It will not include how much utilities you use. Or rent. I say at leat $500.

Answer by louise2 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It sounds fair to me. I'm sorry you're stuck in the situation you are. Hopefully she'll be understanding and grateful you're even offering anything at all considering how tight things must be. I totally understand. Best wishes on getting back on your feet and finding another job.
    mmsfirstone

Answer by mmsfirstone at 3:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Maybe instead of money, offer to pay the electric bill and buy groceries while you are there? If you want to give her money so so; but I know my mother wouldn't take money from me.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Just ask her. She may not expect any rent money from you. She might just want you to help with the groceries and housework/yardwork.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 3:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2011