Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

if your sons father was abusive to you, would you allow him to see your child?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Relationships

Answers (7)
  • I don't think you have a choice, if he wants to push the issue. It would just be his word against yours, and he would be allowed to see his child.

    Answer by NannyB. at 3:08 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • I am acually going through this right now and I am allowing him to see his son since he wouldn't beat his child. But as far as we are going, the only place I want to see him is in court.

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:09 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • I would not want to let him because what would stop him from being abusive to the child. It also depends on how severe the abuse was. But I think you dont have a choice unless you file for custody and get it.

    Answer by Waitaminute808 at 3:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • Depending upon the abuse or how much trauma it had for the children, ( child ), but beware if he uses the children to get even and manipulates for extended trauma, and how it can be darts to hold games he plays even further. Men are very very very childish when it comes to family. Heck if none of them worked we'd have another Germany.

    Answer by coffeeyum at 3:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • like coffeeyum said.... my ex has been using our son as a pawn to ge t to me, so be forewarned

    Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • no i wouldn't- i would get the appropriate restraining order and make precautions (ie-only supervised visits). abusers usually eventually not only abuse the child, but use the child against the victim (done TONS of research on this, but you can also google it). children coming from a domestic abuse relationship can carry severe effects, so be careful.

    Answer by lexi8622 at 3:27 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • I would make sure to go for supervised visits.  This is where the law is messed up.  Okay, so you have to say in court that he was abusive towards you or if he has your child(ren) and one of them ends up being abused, YOU will be in trouble also.


    Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.