what are early signs of autism in babies?

i might just be paranoid. but i don"t know what signs of autism are. and everything my baby does i wonder if everything is ok.... she is such a roller coaster baby. she will be laughing one second and then the next screaming. she's seems bipolar almost.... she's so changeable. she is always moving her arms. and her hands make repetative grabbing motions when she's eating or laying on her tummy.???? i'm a new mom and don't know anything really

rahielete

Asked by rahielete at 3:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That sounds like pretty normal baby behavior to me :) If you are concerned, talk to your pediatrician next time you see them. Autism usually isn't/can't be diagnosed until they are older, at around 2.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:11 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I was the same way.. OVERLY concerned when there is no way to really diagnose this early.. try to relax and enjoy your baby..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• They generally won't diagnose till the child is 5. Lucky with my son the signs were clear. He developed slower and there were certain things that he just couldn't do.
    Punkslilncs

Answer by Punkslilncs at 5:16 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Don't worry :) You're baby is just fine and perfectly normal. My sister has an autistic child, and she was diagnosed at 3, but we all knew before then that something was wrong. She was non-vocal ( and still is pretty hard to understand at 5 ) and had a lot of developmental issues.
    Robbiesmommy83

Answer by Robbiesmommy83 at 6:04 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• It varies widely, but generally even experts will say they can't see it until late in the first year, even with very severe autism. The milder the autism, the later it's generally diagnosed. But don't freak out about it - enjoy your baby. My oldest has autism and it's not a life sentence!

Answer by missanc at 7:23 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• how old is your LO? You really cant tell the signs until there around 1. Most wont diagnose until 3 but your can as a parent see at around 1. We knew around that age that something was wrong with my nephew. So far it just sounds like your LO is just fine.
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 9:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Girls will be girls..just enjoy it with her being so cute now cuz in 10 years it wont be that cute ;) relax momma!! Your little bundle sounds like most babies :) but I think its around 18 months
    socalikim

Answer by socalikim at 3:24 AM on Feb. 3, 2011