Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

How do you change a baby's name?

We switched my daughter's name last minute at the hospital and now I'm not happy with it. I want to change it, but I don't know how much it costs or what the process is. She's 9 months old now and I don't know if that matters either. Has anyone ever done this?


Asked by carol2m2 at 3:15 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Baby Names

Level 18 (4,954 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • I am not familiar with the state laws on name changes, but I would encourage you to change it now, if it is bugging you that much. Do it now while she is still a baby. If it bothers you that much, it will just be a sore point as time continues.

    Answer by spottedpony at 9:22 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • You have to legally change it and the charge varies from state to state. Contact a local lawyer for more information.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • It's different in every state. My mom wanted to change my oldest sisters last letter of her name. The nurse wrote y and my mom wanted an i. It was going to be $50 a letter. Now mind you, this was 27 years ago and in Texas.

    Answer by BabyBugsmama at 3:17 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • Assuming she's already been assigned a social security number and such, my guess would be that it is the same as an adult name change, meaning it will have to be done through the courts. Someone I know did it about 12 years ago by contacting an attorney. The attorney gave him all the proper paperwork, then filed it all for him, including the mandatory publication in the newspaper (in our state, don't know about yours). The whole thing cost about $450. It was kind of a hassle, but I guess it's worth it if you're absolutely certain you want to do that.

    Answer by vicesix at 3:18 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • I'm not really sure. Maybe you should do some research online for laws about changing names in your particular state. Maybe contact a lawyer. I know when my aunt had her name changed she had to go through a lawyer, but that was in South Carolina, maybe 10 years ago and she was an adult. Good luck.

    Answer by poptart0325 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • Laws vary by state. Since she is a baby still, you may not have as much hassle-publication, etc, to change her name. You need to check with an attorney or paralegal for the laws in your state.

    Answer by Tawneekitn at 6:38 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • In WIsconsin, you can change the name within the first year without charge, after that it is a legal name change and it can cost up to $500.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • You'll have to go through the social security office....fill out a form and pay some $ just like anyone else who wants a name change. My SIL has done it so many times that I lost count. She's never satisfied with a name.

    Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 6:34 AM on Feb. 3, 2011


    Answer by suhweetness at 3:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • You have to do it through the court. Contact a lawyer. In CA it's several hundred dollars plus lawyer's fees.

    Answer by SDMama77 at 12:25 PM on Feb. 3, 2011