Interview

My husband had an interview with a University for a director position. Well, its been almost four weeks and we haven't heard anything, yay or nay. Is it possible, they could still be checking references? What do you guys think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:21 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Money & Work

• It's still possible. Large organizations can take quite awhile to get back to you. My husband interviewed with TRW (aerospace) years ago, His interview was in December.....we finally heard back from them at the beginning of March...he got the job, and then, believe it or not they wanted him to start immediately....no 2 week notice....we were thankful because he'd been laid off!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:24 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Honestly, if he hasn't heard anything yet it doesn't sound very promising. He should try to give them a call and see if they've made any decisions yet, at least getting answer one way or another would take your minds off it a bit.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• How many people interviewed for the position? Sometimes the process takes a while because of the number of people they interview and the schedules they have to work around. Maybe if he knows one of his references really well he can call them and ask if the University has called?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Keep in mind that a week in corporate time is like two seconds to us.

Did he send thank you notes to everyone he met with?

I would send a follow-up email, perhaps with a link to an article that you be of interest to the decision-maker.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:47 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• They should have given him a time frame for the rest of their search in the interview with him. It's entirely appropriate to call and ask for an update and to offer to provide more information if they might find it helpful. Sometimes it can take weeks to get all the people interviewed. In future interviews, he will gain points if he tries to ascertain this type of information.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:59 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• they might still be interviewing people and might be behind preparing for orientation. My new job isnt a nice job like that, but I sent them my resume and didnt hear from them for weeks. My friends husband works there and he asked the manager about it. He was told they have fallen behind getting the orientation ready and filing all the applications. I got the job a few weeks later! So just give them a little more time before you intervene!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 5:07 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Probably not I worked for a University and it took 4 days and i started 3 days after so 1 week total...I would start lookin some where else..sorry I hope things get better...
    Mrs.Norris

Answer by Mrs.Norris at 3:49 AM on Feb. 3, 2011