How do i make my DD with adhd mind?

My 13 yr old DD is constantly getting into trouble at home. I am always telling her to stop doing something.... ie: squeezing the cats, picking on sister, into everything. i am at my wits end with her. Everything i have tried: taking away thing, cornor, spanking, grounding, even not allowed to do anything but sit in her room. it seems nothing bothers her on what punishment is handed out.... any suggestions would be great!

update:

she goes to a therapist and sees a phycologist every month. She is also bipolor. she does have thing she has to do and its a chore in a half just to get her to do them. It seems to be a contant fight to just get her ready for school let alone anything else.

Teresa2266

Asked by Teresa2266 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I would try positive reinforcement instead of always punishing her. If she is always getting in trouble she might think what is the point I am always in trouble anyways. With our kids we tried different things and ended up using jars and colored marbles. Everytime they do something good, like a choir or just anything you can think of they get a marble. If they misbehave then we would take a marble away. After "X" amount of marbles they would get a special treat like mommy and me time, going for ice cream or having their favorite dinner.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• What about some type of guidelines that includes things she CAN do?? I'm sure it's frustrating to you both to keep reprimanding her and punishing her. Like some kind of check-list of things to do when she gets home from school that leaves her little time for boredom. It wouldn't have to be all work/chores it could include things that she enjoys doing- playing games, watching tv, whatever she likes. It would give her some focus.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Ask her behavioral therapist for suggestions. She seems very immature, and I suspect there is more going on than ADD.ADHD

Answer by rkoloms at 5:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I agree with rkoloms. It sounds like more that ADHD going on. Kids with ADHD need things broken down into small, more managable tasks in order to complete them. They are need constant reminders. Not nagging just reminders. She needs to be evaluated by a counselor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2011