If you had reason to believe a minor was being sexually abused....?

My family and I have reason to believe that another family we are close with may have sexual abuse going on in the home against one of the minor daughters. The mother was confronted by the daughter a few years ago for "allowing it to happen." The daughter said she was lying after the mother cried all day that her family would be ruined. The eldest son was upset with the father yesterday and told him "Well I think you've touched my sister!" The father won't answer his phone now.

I don't know their contact info but my mom and sister do. Otherwise I would have called CPS to investigate. So I told my mom to call CPS otherwise she is just as guilty as the father for the abuse and the mother for letting it happen just to keep her "family" in tact. My mom said "But that is a serious allegation!" I think that's exactly why authorities need to investigate.

What would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:35 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would call and speak out and maybe I would be wrong but I couldn't live with myself if it was true, and did or said nothing.

Answer by older at 3:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I would call its better to know.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Call CPS ASAP.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 3:40 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• your mom can always ask to remain anonymous, so if the allegations are not true it won't turn around to bite her in the ass. i agree with you though, better safe than sorry!
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• if he did it let him pay for it..
    smiley745

Answer by smiley745 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• i think that this is the reason for CPS not for dumb things that i keep seeing on here..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 4:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I would call 911

Answer by rkoloms at 5:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• And you would be just as guitly as your mother if YOU didn't do something. If you don't know the contact info so what, that can all be obtained. Do you know the school the child goes to? The CPS can get the infi from there. They are there to do the investigating. You are there to perhaps possibly protect this child.
    summerbear

Answer by summerbear at 8:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• If your mom won't do get the info from her. You don't need to say who u are. The safety of the child comes first. Even if it turns out not to be true u will know you did the right thing even if ppl try to tell you otherwise. And like others have said who ever knows and dose nothing is just as guilty. No more so in my opinion. They now its wrong, the child is not safe, but they r more worried about what might be said about them all the time bad mouthing the mother for doing the same thing. I have a family member who went through something similar, mother just wouldn't believe it to be true. The childs safety comes FIRST!!! no matter what.
    kadensmom04

Answer by kadensmom04 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I tried to get the info that's why I don't have it as I stated so. I only know their first names. I don't know the school names for the children. My mother does. The family is close to my mother and sister because my sister is close to their son. If I knew more info than just their first names, I would have called yesterday.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:43 PM on Feb. 2, 2011