I am having a selfish moment......

Our 3 year old son is sick and so this week, him and I haven't gotten much sleep.. he isn't usually a napper which means his bedtime is typically 8-8:30.. when he does nap, he's up til 11:30 which doesn't work for our family OR him and he also sleeps like crap at bedtime when he naps.. anyway... My husband is home with him and I asked him not to let him nap.. I really need some ME time and well, he ended up falling asleep and I know he needs it being sick and all .... but I can't help but be upset now that I will have another long night.. I know, selfish but ugh.. I'm Sooo tired...

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 3:49 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

• oh and stopping the nap is best for both of you keep him up as long as possible you might get lucky and he'll go to bed a few hrs early and still sleep through the night. We all feel like that sometimes. Don't worry u r still a good mom! :)
    kadensmom04

Answer by kadensmom04 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Mom, you are allowed to have those selfish thoughts, specially when you are sleep deprived, hope you get your well deserve rest and your baby gets better soon.

Answer by older at 3:52 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• This will soon be history and things will be back to normal. Just keep telling yourself that. In the meantime, tell you husband to get some take out, turn on a movie, and while everyone is busy watching - get some shut eye! :)
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• That is not selfish,in order for you to function right as a mother you must have some rest
    shelia310

Answer by shelia310 at 3:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I agree you are allowed to have those selfish moments. I think we have all been there. My DD is also sick and she was up at 5:30 this morning. MY Dh went and checked on her to see if she was still running a fever and if she needed anything. Well he came back to bed and said she was fine, she is 9. After a few minutes I knew I wasn't going to go back to sleep so I went and checked on her. Sure enough she had a fever and I ended up staying up with her.

I think it is a mom thing. Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• I don't see that as selfish. It was a right call for you to make for your child knowing he'll sleep horribly tonight now that he's had a nap.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• thanks ladies.. I just feel bad asking my husband to keep our poor sick son up when he is sick and needs the sleep and then being/feeling soo disappointed that he couldn't lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 4:03 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

• Put on a movie and lay with him (his room is best if you can). This way u can sleep but still feel him there, if he moves or gets up u know it and he still safe. I do it with my son when ever I just can't stay awake.
    kadensmom04

Answer by kadensmom04 at 9:26 PM on Feb. 2, 2011