Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

I need to know my rights.

I live in Kansas. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. I want to move to Washington. I want to take my kids, away from their dad. There is no custody established. I'm afraid to file because I'm afraid I wont get full custody. and then I wont be able to move. Can I move and then file once I get to Washington and basically screw him?
(Why is irrelevant. I just want to know if I can or how I can get information about it. I promise you I am only trying to do what is best for my kids.)

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:54 PM on Feb. 2, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (7)
  • Call a lawyer.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • I'd consult with a lawyer.

    Answer by EverydayMomma at 3:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • I agree with the previous posters, this is a question for someone in the legal field, as this is a very serious matter.

    Answer by amybaby_19 at 4:00 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • Consult a lawyer, but if you don't have a custody agreement, and you move you're probably okay...but file for custody IMMEDIATELY in the state that you move to, so that he doesn't do it where he is first. Also, keep in mind that because you are the one who moved, you may end up having to pay transportation costs for your daughter to go back and forth to visit her dad a couple of times a year.

    Do consult a lawyer though, every states laws are different, and a lawyer might advise you differently.

    Answer by ohwrite at 4:01 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • I'd move. If there is no custody agreement in place and they live with you the majority of the time you should be considered the custodial parent.


    Answer by skittles1108 at 4:05 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • move first and wait 6months at least because then you will be a resident of that state. are you on good terms with the dad? are you moving for a job in the other state? i moved to a different state before i filed for anything. does he pay child support in your current state? i don't know how it is in kansas. but i would probably call a lawyer and ask for a free consultations. usually they have those before having to pay a retainer. how is the children's relationship with the father? just have all your questions written down before calling the lawyer. good luck.

    Answer by lambdarose at 4:30 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

  • Call an attorney.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:55 PM on Feb. 2, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.